GPU temp goes above 87C and restarts.

Apr 10, 2018
Please read my complete post.

I have HD 7950 and my temperature goes to 86-88C within minutes under load and finally restarts automatically which i think is to save the card from burning.

I was actually having problems with my card, 3 weeks ago i was getting vertical lines and it even stopped giving display. I tried different PSU to see if that was the case but it wasn't.

Since it was no longer working or sometimes working for few mintues then again vertical lines and no display, i opened up my card for the first time and changed its thermal paste after 4 years.

It didn't do anything different but now suddenly after 3 weeks my card is working again.

Now the problem is I'm getting very high temperatures when i run some graphical extensive game and under 5 mintues the temperature will go to +80C.

After 80C it won't stop stabling and will go to 86-88C and then restarts automatically.

I have tried using fan curve on afterburner and i changed fan speed to 100% after 80C but still temperatures won't stop.

I cleared up my driver and reinstalled it, deleted that and installed latest 18.3.4 but temperature won't get stable.

I live in a hot country and getting 80C is not uncommon in summers (nowadays) but it never went this high. In fact i have played with 81C for hours during summers and it always used to stay there.

I have even tried changing thermal paste 3 more times to see if my method was i wrong.

Right now it is sitting at idle at 38C which is very normal for my PC and will stay alright 60C-70C when i run older/low requirement games like league of legends or prototype.

Graphical extensive games which are giving high temperatures are Gears of war 4 and Assassins creen origins. I have even set their settings at lowest but still temp won't get stable.

My card is this sapphire 3gb boost and i can see both fans spinning.

https://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-hd-7950-3gb-gddr5-boost-3-gb-graphics-card/p/itmdc2qtbpzhv8hq?lid&pid=GRCDC2QTBPZHV8HQ

Specs: i5 3570k

8gb ddr3

Cx 600w

1tb wd green

Solution
Edit: fixed it by turning ON my front 200mm fan, didn't had to for so many years but since GPU is running hot and cannot run cool on iyws own so i did and now temp doesn't go beyond 80C.

Mods can close the thread.

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016

how well both fans spinning?
to test it, use your finger, slowly and gently to touch the middle part of the fans (if you or others have better method, im all ear)...

i always use "chain lube" to lube the fans and wd40 to clean them...

Apr 10, 2018
Edit: fixed it by turning ON my front 200mm fan, didn't had to for so many years but since GPU is running hot and cannot run cool on iyws own so i did and now temp doesn't go beyond 80C.

Mods can close the thread.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS