[SOLVED] GPU temp higher than CPU temp idle

Mass Games

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
Something suspicious has been going on recently.

CPU: i7 7700 HQ
CPU: 6% Usage | 70 degrees C

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile
GPU: 0% Usage | 95~ degrees C

Malwarebytes hasn't picked anything up. I feel like I'm secretly being used as a render farm.
I also have my fans constantly running at max speed just to keep it cool, but it seems to be only just enough to keep it fro m frying.
Also I'm aware the CPU temps are abnormally high for idle as well.

Solution
Although I'm unsure as to why my GPU is so much hotter, considering its located on the other side of the laptop and its apparently at 0% usage.
-poor contact; the paste on the gpu dried out faster
-poor contact; whoever did the paste application on the gpu kinda missed the mark...
Well, either one says poor contact between die and heatsink.
Also, most laptops run shared heatsinks, so the gpu being on the other side doesn't mean much by itself.

RealBeast

Titan
That GPU and CPU idle temp are way too high, mine usually run under 40C for either. Do you have a really high ambient temperature, like living in Phoenix without air conditioning? Is there adequate space under your laptop and do you occasionally use compressed air to blow out the accumulated dust and what not?

Are the cooling fans running?

Mass Games

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
When's the last time you applied thermal paste on the cpu and gpu?
You know it dries out after some years of use...
Oh yeah I'm definitely getting the paste replaced soon. I've had this laptop for 2 years, its about time.
Although I'm unsure as to why my GPU is so much hotter, considering its located on the other side of the laptop and its apparently at 0% usage.

Mass Games

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
That GPU and CPU idle temp are way too high, mine usually run under 40C for either. Do you have a really high ambient temperature, like living in Phoenix without air conditioning? Is there adequate space under your laptop and do you occasionally use compressed air to blow out the accumulated dust and what not?

Are the cooling fans running?
Its winter right now and I've set up a wooden stand that gives the intakes plenty of in-flow. Also recently used compressed air and a vacuum cleaner simultaneously to get as much dust out as possible without voiding the warranty.
I've also under clocked my GPU and CPU to try to reduce temps, didn't seem to help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-poor contact; whoever did the paste application on the gpu kinda missed the mark...
Also, most laptops run shared heatsinks, so the gpu being on the other side doesn't mean much by itself.

Reactions: dorsai
Solution

Mass Games

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019

Oh haha didn't actually know laptop GPU's had thermal paste... I'll get the GPU and CPU re-pasted and hopefully it will be at decent temperatures again. Thanks