Question GPU temp rising almost impossibly fast when under stress ?

Sep 7, 2021
i have this really awful gaming laptop that i've been having problems with for almost a year. the only way it stays on without shutting off randomly is if i keep it on the "silent" mode or basically low performance mode. Recently i decided to see how long it could stay on any other mode before shutting down and it seems the problem has gotten so bad that it will shut off within a min of being in "turbo" mode. so i went and looked at the temps of silent vs turbo mode and my gpu temp was rising so fast it was almost comical like i dont think its even possible for it to be rising as much as its saying.

i am not exaggerating when i say it rose from 72c to 84c within 20 seconds. does anyone have any idea what is causing this? is the gpu so hilariously busted that the fan just doesn't work or something? opening this laptop up is not in the question because its built in a way that almost makes it seem like they dont want you to open it and I am 100% not the guy who can crack it open without breaking something. I can link a video of it rising this fast if anyone wants honestly its kind of hilarious seeing it rise so quickly.

I should probably mention that the gpu is an rtx 2060 and i bought the laptop sometime in 2019

Lutfij

Titan
i have this really awful gaming laptop
Make and model of said laptop? An SKU will help us two fold.

While here, check and see what OS you're on. If you're working with Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you working with? BIOS version for said laptop? You might want to also think about inspecting the innards of the laptop and it's cooling assembly since dirt/debris can and will impeded airflow and consequently stifle cooling performance of the cooling assembly. You should also keep thermal paste, isopropyl alcohol and some ear buds handy in case you have to replace the factory applied thermal paste.

Sep 7, 2021
i have this really awful gaming laptop
Make and model of said laptop? An SKU will help us two fold.

While here, check and see what OS you're on. If you're working with Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you working with? BIOS version for said laptop? You might want to also think about inspecting the innards of the laptop and it's cooling assembly since dirt/debris can and will impeded airflow and consequently stifle cooling performance of the cooling assembly. You should also keep thermal paste, isopropyl alcohol and some ear buds handy in case you have to replace the factory applied thermal paste.

sure. os is windows 10 version10.0.19042 Build 19042, laptop model is an asus rog gu502gv with the i7 9750h & 16gbs. bios version is American Megatrends Inc. GU502GV.311, 1/5/2021. I had the motherboard replaced maybe 6 months ago under warranty since initially thats what i thought the problem was (it wasn't) so its probably different than what you would get from the stock version of my laptop. thermal paste has been swapped out before it also didn't fix the problem and it's' been pretty rigorously cleaned to no avail. the battery has also been swapped out under warranty since i thought that voltage could be an issue but it did not change anything (keep in mind the warranty is under best buy so its entirely possible they did nothing at all and sent it back).

TRENDING THREADS