Question GPU temperature issue (RTX 3080)

Tomas881

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Hi everyone, thank you for reading this post. I'm coming back after some years in search of your help, once again.

I've recently purchased a RTX 3080 and I'm having trouble with the temperatures. While the PC is idle the temperature gets to 60ºC (literally stuck in 60), when playing some "light" games like Rocket League or the Batman Arkham series there is not much problem, it goes up a little bit to ~70ºC, but when I'm playing RDR2 the temperature goes up to 80ºC. We are currently on winter over here, so I'm afraid that this will get worse on summer with temperatures of ~30ºC. The CPU doesn't seem to have temperature problems, it goes from 45ºC to 60ºC, more or less.

My specs are:

Case: Corsair 400C - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/400c
Fans: 2 Corsair Stock that came with the Case
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
CPU Fan: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8x2 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair CX750M

I was thinking of buying 2 Corsair Icue Sp140 but I realized that the motherboard has only 5 fan sockets, and I'm currently using 4 of them (2 fans, 2 CPU fan). I saw there are some fan controllers that allow you to put more fans, are these reliable? I'm not acquainted with water cooling, that's why I thought of air refrigeration.
I'm unsure if I should change the case, I would really prefer not to, but I don't know if this could be part of the issue.
Is there something else I should check on to reduce the GPU temperature?

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
I saw there are some fan controllers that allow you to put more fans, are these reliable?
Can you parse what you're looking at, just so we're on the same page?

If your fans are all PWM, why not invest in a PWM fan hub? Phanteks make one as do Coolermaster as do Corsair. No, you don't need to change the case, IMHO, in fact if you set your fans sorted, you should be good to go. I'd look into non RGB fans but that's because I don't care about the lights, only performance.

CPU Fan: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo
Although a tower cooler, you would've been better off getting another tower, air cooler or a 240mm AIO.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Many cards are set to "zero-RPM mode" by default, which won't turn the fans on until the card goes beyond 60°C. There is software that allows you to change the fan speeds. EVGA has a program for this called "Precision", I believe. It can allow you to change how fast the fans spin at different temps. Maybe more aggressive settings will help.

If you feel up to it, you could try changing the thermal paste on the GPU die. Just make sure that 100% of the die gets covered. It might sound kinda scary - I was terrified the first time I tried it, but it actually turned out to be pretty simple. From what I hear, EVGA doesn't care if you open and re-paste a card (it won't void your warranty.) I'm sure there are videos of people showing how to re-paste that exact model. I've had good luck with Arctic MX-4 paste lowering my temps on my cards by several degrees.

Only 2 case fans, that’s not enough. With the case I would want to fill all front fan spaces (3x120mm or 2x140mm) as intake, the rear as exhaust and at least 1 top as exhaust.

Your case doesn’t have space for fans at the bottom but when added 2x140mm as intake to the bottom of my case it made a noticeable difference to gpu temperatures. Without bottom fans there is nearly no air directed under the gpu which is where the gpu intakes its cool air.

Reactions: johnno23

Tomas881

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Thanks everyone for your responses.

@Lutfij it's pretty hard to find some things at my country, I couldn't find anyone that sells any of those PWM hubs you suggested. What I found was something like this DeepCool or this one that has more available slots. I will continue searching for the ones you listed anyway.
Non RGB Corsair are not available so that's why I chose that fan, I don't care much about lights either.

I have downloaded EVGA's "Precision X1" and have been making some tuning but perhaps I should research a little bit further. I thought about changing the GPU's thermal paste but as it is brand new I am a little afraid about "opening" it. I will search for more info about the warranty.

I tried to place the intake fan as low as I could but I'm afraid that if I put it too low the plastic that covers the PSU and the disks will get in the way of the airflow. I left the fan at the same height as the GPU.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Getting rid of silent mode should do the trick. When I first built my newest PC with MSI 3080 it got really hot. I use MSI Afterburner to set the fans at 40% minimum and then ramping up to 100% at the thermal limit. Now my GPU runs at a max of 67C.

Reactions: alexbirdie