Question GPU Temperature reaches max in 50 seconds

Jan 15, 2021
Hello all,

First post here, for I'm at a loss of how to tackle my GPU's thermal issue. My system is an Alienware 15R3 laptop with a nvidia 1070 GPU. Bought it new in November 2017.

Back in summer of 2019 I noticed the CPU started running hot, as in hitting thermal throttling. So I repasted both CPU and GPU in August 2019 with ThermalGrizzly's Kryonaut paste. It had been running fine until fall of 2020, when I noticed there was a significant drop in FPS during gaming. I didn't think it was thermal related at that time, so I did a fresh install of Windows and undervolted the CPU. That helped the CPU, but I still wasn't aware of the GPU thermal issue.

Getting into 2021, the performance dropped so bad I started taking a deeper look. I noticed the GPU's clock speed are throttled once temperature hits 90C. Then today, while using MSI's Kombuster stress test I noticed the GPU's temperature can rise from 44C to 90C in about 50 seconds (see link below). The CPU temperature at the same time would rise to about 70C and stabilize around 75C after couple of minutes. While that's still warm but it's acceptable to me.

MSI Afterburner Temp Graph

Here are my questions:
  1. Should temperature rise that quickly? It's almost a vertical line straight up for the GPU, while CPU's temp was gradually rising. I have both laptop fans running at 7000 rpm through HWinfo starting at 50C.
  2. What can I do about it? I'm thinking doing another repaste with a fresh tube of Kryonaut. Also thinking about a temperature-sensing laptop cooler, but I think that'd just be a waste of money. Last resort is to get an external graphics card and call it a day.

All suggestions and recommendations to tackle this issue are welcome.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Repasting is the cheapest option here, give it a try and make sure the mounting pressure is right. A laptop cooler won't do much if the heatsink isn't even properly contacting the gpu.

TRENDING THREADS