ashishkankaria1302

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Hi
I have a nvidia 8600GT having 512MB memory. These days whenever i try playing games like Napoleon Total war , Empire total war or Fallout 3, the games run smooth initially, but then they show some lag for sometime, after this everything gets normal and then the above process repeats itself.

When i installed nVidia ESA and System Monitor, i found out that the GPU temp. at startup is around 78C and after 15 mins it reaches 91C. Also when i play these games and when the lag occurs i checked that the temperature shoots till 125C. Can you please advice what could be the root cause and what could be some solutions about. Shall i go for a change of graphic card and if yes, what should be the new card.

MyGPU temp details are as follows (PC Wizard):

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT : nVidia Driver
Temperature : 91 °C
Temperature (GPU) : 91 °C
Fan : 30%

125C is too hot. Take the cover off the case, and lay it on its side. Clean any dust that may be limiting air flow from your fans. Then run the games with the computer open, on its side.

You must lower the temps, and if the games don't stutter when you do then you've found the problem. If the games stutter at temps around 90c, the problem is not the video card.

Please download CPUID's Hardware Monitor to measure temps. We know how that one works:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

ashishkankaria1302

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Hi Guys,
Thanks Twoboxer your suggestion worked :)

Just added 2 fans to my CPU and the temperature dropped to around 70C which i guess is much better than my previous temps. i guess the issue was with the heat.

Sill as Tamz_msc suggested , i'll try increasing fan speed as well.

i'll let you know after i change the fan speed

Thanks Guys!!!

As said above, make sure you get a can of compresses air and blow dust out of the video cards heatsink. As dust builds up the heat transfer suffers from dust and reduced air speeds.

I would let the card manage its own fan speeds if you can. This way as the temperatures rise, the card will increase fan speed to keep it within Nvidia's thermal specs.

Glad you found the problem - and it seems you've got a couple of ways to fix it (more cleaning, another fan).

Just make sure that you keep HWM running for a while after you think you got the heat licked . . . and check the peak temps before you shut down . . . just to be sure.

G

You can find someone to open 2 halls for you by the side of the box were the graphic card is in there you can put 2 NF-P12 noctua Fans for increasing the pressure of air flow to your card and to your motherboard you will need 2 120x120 filters from outside, they help allot to keep the dust out.

Just remember to put some rubber in the corners of the fans making sure the fans not to touch the case this will absorb the vibrations and you will fine.

ananth1goku

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

I have the same problem, i'm a noob so CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ADD EXTRA FANS OR INCREASE THE FAN SPEED?