Question GPU Temps going closer to 90º using Vertical Holder Kit

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
After having multiple issues (GPU Sag and flickers) with the heavyness of my GPU and trying some gpu support brackets to achieve some stability, I thought about getting a Vertical Holder Kit for my GPU.

Turns out that either the case is too small and the GPU is too close to the side panel, or I am having some other problem regarding the whole environment airflow of the case.
Attaching pictures with the current setup.
Also do note that I am having close to 90º temps while playing for more than 1h in Everspace 2.
Currently I just opened the side panel and it went all down to 74º

My GPU: Inno3d RTX 3090Ti
Holder: Cooler Master MasterAccessory Vertical Graphics Card Holder Kit V3
Case: CoolerMaster MasterBox MB520

Any suggestions on what I should next please let me know!
Thank you!

EDIT: I didn't build the PC myself, and sorry if something is completely wrong here, I am looking for feedback and learning what can be improved here. I dont have the experience to identify the problem.

Lutfij

Titan
Also do note that I am having close to 90º temps while playing for more than 1h in Everspace 2.

My GPU: Inno3d RTX 3090Ti
Holder: Cooler Master MasterAccessory Vertical Graphics Card Holder Kit V3
Case: CoolerMaster MasterBox MB520

Might want to put the side panel back on and then take the front panel off, see if the temps seem favorable. As it stands, the issue is lack of airflow inside the case/GPU, leading up to those temps.

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Thank your for your reply @Lutfij
I haven't had a chance to remove the front panel yet, but assuming its lack of airflow inside the case/GPU, what would you recommend me to do? Is this the wrong case for this setup?
Thank you!

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Attached the side panel, launched the game and played for like the last 50 minutes, here are the results with front panel off.

Pictures attached below, front panel on my hands.

I don't see any benefit its around the same maybe less 1 or 2º degrees.
Taking into account this troubleshoot, what would you suggest at this point? Thank you again!

View: https://imgur.com/a/9wGtC57

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This said it all. Gpu is too close to the side panel - airflow could also be playing a part.
Horizontal gpu: waste heat thrown out toward the side panel and motherboard.
Vertical gpu: waste heat thrown out toward the psu shroud and roof of case.
Air going towards the shroud can feed back into the gpu cooler; air can't pass through solids after all. Horizontal gpu cooler can also suck in some of its used air, but to a lesser degree.

I see the cpu cooler is the pump in radiator type, so a top mount is out of the question for it.

What exactly is it you want to do?
If gpu sag is a problem in the horizontal position, you can stack some legos underneath to hold it up - something else around the house could do it too, if you're crafty. Maybe cut a small block of wood to fit.
No need to buy one of those gpu support brackets out there - some of those things look like they'd start sagging too after some time...

If the goal is vertical gpu, I figure you'll need a bit wider case, like Cooler Master's H500 series or something.

Reactions: tiagom

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
This said it all. Gpu is too close to the side panel - airflow could also be playing a part.
Horizontal gpu: waste heat thrown out toward the side panel and motherboard.
Vertical gpu: waste heat thrown out toward the psu shroud and roof of case.
Air going towards the shroud can feed back into the gpu cooler; air can't pass through solids after all. Horizontal gpu cooler can also suck in some of its used air, but to a lesser degree.

I see the cpu cooler is the pump in radiator type, so a top mount is out of the question for it.

What exactly is it you want to do?
If gpu sag is a problem in the horizontal position, you can stack some legos underneath to hold it up - something else around the house could do it too, if you're crafty. Maybe cut a small block of wood to fit.
No need to buy one of those gpu support brackets out there - some of those things look like they'd start sagging too after some time...

If the goal is vertical gpu, I figure you'll need a bit wider case, like Cooler Master's H500 series or something.

Thank you for your suggestion!
Taking this problem into account, I have been doing some investigation for a new case, and Cooler Master H500 didn't pop up on my radar yet, will take a look now.
The options I have been looking into so far are:
- Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower
- Fractal Design Meshify 2

What should I choose? And I am not excluding your suggestion about the H500, will check it out now, thank you all!