Question GPU Temps Much Higher After MOBO Swap (6950 XT)

Sep 6, 2024
Current Hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X
GPU: RX 6950 XT
MOBO: Gigabyte B650 X AX Rev 1.3
RAM: Crucial Pro DDR5 (2x16Gb)

Previous Hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: RX 6950 XT
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Auros Elite
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x16Gb)

PSU: Corsair Rm1000x

Looking for some troubleshooting advice. I recently upgraded my CPU to a 7700X which required a new MOBO and RAM. After booting up, I updated all drivers and the BIOS. I opened up 3DMark to run the Time Spy benchmark and compare to a previous benchmark and two things happened.

First, my computer consistently crashed and shut down prior to completing the benchmark. Second, when I was able to complete the benchmark, GPU temps at 98-99% load were 99-101C (not hotspot temps, those were at 110C). The test indicated GPU clock frequency averaging about 2400 MHz and Memory Clock Frequency about 2200 MHz. I compared these to a benchmark run with previous hardware and, with the same clock frequencies, GPU temps never went above 71C.

No other changes occurred to my setup besides MOBO/CPU/RAM. The new MOBO mounting locations are almost exactly matching to the previous board, so airflow within the case did not change significantly. I confirmed all readings within the AMD adrenaline software and ran the stress test within the software with similar temps. I also tried changing the fan curve for the GPU so that by about 70C, they would be running at full speed. Temps remained around 96-97C with fans full speed. I'm not sure where to go from here and what things I should be looking at. Am I missing something or screwing up? Any guidance is appreciated

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After booting up, I updated all drivers and the BIOS.
Did you reinstall the OS after the motherboard swap? From that line alone, it seems to me that the answer is no, if so, please reinstall your OS after recreating your bootable USB installer.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

No other changes occurred to my setup besides MOBO/CPU/RAM. The new MOBO mounting locations are almost exactly matching to the previous board, so airflow within the case did not change significantly
Make and model of case?