Question GPU temps seem high, is this normal?

Hoogers

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
I bought a new prebuilt computer from iBuyPower ( View: https://imgur.com/a/4Zj0W2h
) and compared to my previous computer which was idle at 40 C and ~70 under load, this one is ~50 C idle and 85 C under load. I've read some people saying 80 C is sort of high and that I should try to aim for 70 C, but I'm getting these temps straight out of the box. Is this normal temps?

Jul 14, 2021
All 3000 series are known to have very high memory temperatures that surpass 100C and being the norm for them. Especially towards the higher end. your lucky to have it at 80 C

Hoogers

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
All 3000 series are known to have very high memory temperatures that surpass 100C and being the norm for them. Especially towards the higher end. your lucky to have it at 80 C
Should I not worry then that it's on average 85 C under load? Seeing different posts about people with an RTX 3070 as well but far less temps under load makes me feel like there might be something weird with mine

Hoogers

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
you should not worry in my opinion because many people have over 100c on temps but if your worried you could get better cooling. also i have attached a link on how to reduce GPU temps thanks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fbp_stXhog

As long as the temp is acceptable I'm fine with it. However, it's the noise my computer makes that gets me pretty worried which is due to the high temps. When it gets to around 85 C my fans kick up to around 95% speed and I start hearing this loud buzzing sound. It seems to go away as the fan speed goes down, so I don't know for sure if there's something wrong.

Hoogers

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
I meant I won't worry that much with your 3070, it uses GDDR6 and from my knowledge it's fine.

The higher temperature may caused by a higher ambient temperature or case airflow which might be somewhat less
What about the noise it makes when the fans are reaching near 100%? The video I posted in one of my replies shows what I'm talking about

Is that so? I thought it would just be really loud fans getting to its peak, not the buzzing that I hear from the video

It is hard to tell from the video you posted, but the tower you have looks relatively small and I don't see too many places where air can enter and exit easily.

Lots of hot components jammed together in a small tower is a recipe for high temperatures and high fan speeds, resulting in lots of noise emanating from the tower while gaming.

If you want your GPU fans to not run so fast and loud, you need to increase airflow in and out of your tower to better cool your GPU. If your tower has room for more case fans, you should install more cooling fans. If it doesn't, then there is little you can do to lower temperatures and noise levels without switching to a larger tower with better airflow characteristics.

Hoogers

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
It is hard to tell from the video you posted, but the tower you have looks relatively small and I don't see too many places where air can enter and exit easily.

Lots of hot components jammed together in a small tower is a recipe for high temperatures and high fan speeds, resulting in lots of noise emanating from the tower while gaming.

If you want your GPU fans to not run so fast and loud, you need to increase airflow in and out of your tower to better cool your GPU. If your tower has room for more case fans, you should install more cooling fans. If it doesn't, then there is little you can do to lower temperatures and noise levels without switching to a larger tower with better airflow characteristics.
I just realized I'm a big dummy and all the games I've been trying the new computer out on, I've changed them all to borderless fullscreen. I don't know why I thought that borderless fullscreen was the same as fullscreen except you can tab out to other windows faster when it actually makes it ramp up a bit more. I tried it in Escape From Tarkov and before I got to around 75 C standing in a room then after going fullscreen I dropped to around 60 C. I guess that's my fix?

I just realized I'm a big dummy and all the games I've been trying the new computer out on, I've changed them all to borderless fullscreen. I don't know why I thought that borderless fullscreen was the same as fullscreen except you can tab out to other windows faster when it actually makes it ramp up a bit more. I tried it in Escape From Tarkov and before I got to around 75 C standing in a room then after going fullscreen I dropped to around 60 C. I guess that's my fix?

It sounds like your GPU isn't working as hard which is causing your temperatures and thus fan speeds and noise levels to go down. I don't know why switching from borderless windowed to Fullscreen would cause that.

The point still stands; if your GPU produces too much heat and noise when it's being worked hard, you only have a few options to fix that: better airflow via more/better case fans, or a better case.

Jul 6, 2021
Should I not worry then that it's on average 85 C under load? Seeing different posts about people with an RTX 3070 as well but far less temps under load makes me feel like there might be something weird with mine

If that helps i have a 2 year old gtx 1660 and the highest it has ever been to is 84C. i asked nvidia customer service themselves and they said something about the modern cards having higher heat yet being way WAY stronger than their older fellows. i said "Under 95 or 100% load the temp goes up to 84C is that safe?" Nvidia replied : Completely safe. you also said your case has no fans and it depends on the ambient room temperature which is actually good the card must break that wall in that case but it didn't so that's good."
They made me feel much better about my temps. they also said that the max temp for my card before it throttles is 94C. So go ask nvidia themselves but yeah 85C is completely safe , a bit high but completely safe. it wont harm anything.

Also youtube videos don't tell you anything.
maybe that video has watercooling
maybe that video has the side panel off with 4+ fans in the case
maybe that GPU isn't even the same model as yours therefore different cooling techniques. get the idea?

Hoogers

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
If that helps i have a 2 year old gtx 1660 and the highest it has ever been to is 84C. i asked nvidia customer service themselves and they said something about the modern cards having higher heat yet being way WAY stronger than their older fellows. i said "Under 95 or 100% load the temp goes up to 84C is that safe?" Nvidia replied : Completely safe. you also said your case has no fans and it depends on the ambient room temperature which is actually good the card must break that wall in that case but it didn't so that's good."
They made me feel much better about my temps. they also said that the max temp for my card before it throttles is 94C. So go ask nvidia themselves but yeah 85C is completely safe , a bit high but completely safe. it wont harm anything.

Also youtube videos don't tell you anything.
maybe that video has watercooling
maybe that video has the side panel off with 4+ fans in the case
maybe that GPU isn't even the same model as yours therefore different cooling techniques. get the idea?
Yeah, I guess my two main concerns were:

1. People were saying 85 C was pretty high. Not bad, but kind of high, which that alone made me worry if it would be harmful in the long run
  2. I wanted to avoid ramping my fan speed to 95% - 100%, otherwise it really gets loud and while it doesn't bother me personally I do have others in my household so I'm trying to be courteous for them. 80% - 85% fan speed is loud too but you just hear... loud fans. Not the screeching in the video I posted earlier.