[SOLVED] GPU temps used to be around 68-69 degrees but now are about 70-80 degrees

Firecool

Prominent
Jan 4, 2020
So as you aleady read in the tilte my temps where ok but about 2 or 3 months ago i upgraded my ram from 2x4gb(3200mhz) to 2x8(3200mhz) the temps changed i am not sure if the problem is caused by the rams but i dont remember changing something else ,also my fps and overall perfomance is still good.
(when the gpu temps start to rise it also starts to make a lot of noise)

things i tried: undervoloting my gpu wich worked but i could not stand the idea that there might be another solution that wouldn't decrease gpu performance, and cleaning my pc

specs:
rtx 2060 msi gaming z

ryzen 5 2600(non x)

ram corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb(2x8) ddr4-3200mhz

power suply Corsair TX-M Series TX650M

monitor AOC c24g1b450 msi gaming plus

ssd kingston A400

western digital blue 2tb 5400rpm

case nzxt h500

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Thanks for answering fast.I already tried custom fan curve and it didnt work it only made it even louder
can you show me how much did you undervolt your gpu?
from 1150mv core voltage to 1070mv core voltage. From 950mv memory voltage to 910mv memory voltage. Along with a minor overclock (performance gain from undervolting alone is 4%, minor overclock adds another 4%) Core clock speed 1350mhz to 1380mhz. Memory speed 2000mhz to 2090 mhz along with using memory timings level 2 (tighter memory timings for less latency and more speed). Also optimizing my case's airflow.
So as you aleady read in the tilte my temps where ok but about 2 or 3 months ago i upgraded my ram from 2x4gb(3200mhz) to 2x8(3200mhz) the temps changed i am not sure if the problem is caused by the rams but i dont remember changing something else ,also my fps and overall perfomance is still good.
(when the gpu temps start to rise it also starts to make a lot of noise)

things i tried: undervoloting my gpu wich worked but i could not stand the idea that there might be another solution that wouldn't decrease gpu performance, and cleaning my pc

specs:
rtx 2060 msi gaming z

ryzen 5 2600(non x)

ram corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb(2x8) ddr4-3200mhz

power suply Corsair TX-M Series TX650M

monitor AOC c24g1b450 msi gaming plus

ssd kingston A400

western digital blue 2tb 5400rpm

case nzxt h500
Have you tried making a custom fan curve using msi afterburner or evga prescision xoc? (look up tutorial on how to make a fan curve with that software)

And undervolting should not decrease performance, unless you're doing a shoddy job at it. Undervolting actually improves my performance and allows me to keep a card at a maximum of 70c

Firecool

Prominent
Jan 4, 2020
Have you tried making a custom fan curve using msi afterburner or evga prescision xoc? (look up tutorial on how to make a fan curve with that software)

And undervolting should not decrease performance, unless you're doing a shoddy job at it. Undervolting actually improves my performance and allows me to keep a card at a maximum of 70c
Thanks for answering fast.I already tried custom fan curve and it didnt work it only made it even louder

from 1150mv core voltage to 1070mv core voltage. From 950mv memory voltage to 910mv memory voltage. Along with a minor overclock (performance gain from undervolting alone is 4%, minor overclock adds another 4%) Core clock speed 1350mhz to 1380mhz. Memory speed 2000mhz to 2090 mhz along with using memory timings level 2 (tighter memory timings for less latency and more speed). Also optimizing my case's airflow.

Solution
You wanna watch a tutorial on how to undervolt using msi afterburner and msi kombustor to do it one of the proper ways. I personally use amd's built in gpu overclocking tool which you get when you install the drivers, along with msi kombustor for stress testing to ensure stability.

watch this tutorial
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO50uMU7L-E

if you're losing performance when you undervolt that's because you're undervolting too much which the degradation in performance also hints at possible instability. Undervolt as much as you can without having msi kombustor having artifacts or crashing, I recommend doing stress tests of at least 10 or more minutes. Instead of using the stress testing software that's in his video use msi kombustor and turn on artifact scanner. If you start losing performance/fps isn't as near as stable, then give it a tad more voltage.