GPU temps

litex

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
What is a normal temp of a graphics card? (The 4770 ,to be more specific)

The reason i ask is because i just purchased one and have been looking at the temps. At idle the card sits at around 58C and under 100% load (furmark test) it gets up to 80C. Ideally i'd like those temps to be about 10C lower.

Should i try to improve airflow in my case, or am I just being too picky and the temps are fairly normal?

Thanks!

Hammeh

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Those temps although they will not damage the card are slightly high. I would recommend that you improve airflow in the case if possible. It might also be worth trying to increase the fan speed of the card manually using RivaTuner.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
i remember reading somewhere that you need to get the temperature up to 120 degrees celsius to really do any damage. someone correct me if i'm wrong

litex

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thanks for the replies

Increasing fan speed to 70% lowers idle temp to around 54C, which is a slight improvement. But I'll still get in there to move the wires around and maybe open up a few holes to improve airflow.

Now, how can I change the "Auto fan speed control rule" in riva tuner? Right now i can see that at 60C the fan should be spinning at 32% and so on, but how can I actually change those values so i don't have to constantly go in and change the fan speed manually?

Thanks.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

i dont know how to do it with riva tuner, but u could use evga precision. it has an option and its a simple but effective overclocking utility.

jennyh

Splendid
You can't use evga precision with ATI cards.

The OP's temps are high, no doubt about that. I would look to the case for airflow problems. It's surprisingly easy to make a case much better for temps - just a few bits of velcro and a 90mm fan well placed can make a huge difference.

80C under full load in furmark isn't that bad btw, but you can get it lower.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Keeping a card at that temperature will seriously lower its lifespan... I wouldn't allow any card to reach that temperature.