[SOLVED] GPU Thermal paste

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello guys ,

So I built my pc 2 days ago and I noticed that my MSI GTX 970 was not getting the FPS that it should. I went to benchmark my PC and under the GPU tab it said that my GPU was "way below expectations 7th percentile" which was really bad considering I just build this yesterday . Anyway I did some troubleshooting and saw my gpu temps at Idle were 58c and when gaming around the high 70's low 80's which is way to high for comfort . A person on this forum told me it should be around 25-30c when idle . I was wondering if the temps is why my GPU wasnt getting the fps it should and I went ahead and bought 3 fans and I have opened up my GPU and am going to apply some thermal paste . Do you think this could be the problem of my FPS View: https://imgur.com/a/SFXUPDN
. Is this how the thermal paste should look? And do you guys have any other ideas on why my gpu is underperforming or is this the only reason . Thanks!

Specs :
MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS
Ryzen 3 1200
MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr 4GB
Corsair 16GB 3000Mhz
Corsair CX550M PSU

Solution
Those temps were very normal. You will not get a GTX 970 to be 25-30C at idle. Idk who told you that, but they were wrong. The fans will shut off below 60C, and it will idle around 55C, give or take.

That is what thermal paste should look like on a GPU, but you should replace it since you've removed the heatsink. It probably needed replaced anyway, looks kinda dry and GTX 970 is a few years old now.

Have you installed the proper drivers for your GPU? Did you remove previous drivers? Did you perform a clean install of Windows?

*Edit: If you are seeing temps in the low 80s, that is kinda warm (but it wouldn't affect performance any noticeable amount); so what you could do is adjust the fan curve (and/or replace the thermal paste)...
Those temps were very normal. You will not get a GTX 970 to be 25-30C at idle. Idk who told you that, but they were wrong. The fans will shut off below 60C, and it will idle around 55C, give or take.

That is what thermal paste should look like on a GPU, but you should replace it since you've removed the heatsink. It probably needed replaced anyway, looks kinda dry and GTX 970 is a few years old now.

Have you installed the proper drivers for your GPU? Did you remove previous drivers? Did you perform a clean install of Windows?

*Edit: If you are seeing temps in the low 80s, that is kinda warm (but it wouldn't affect performance any noticeable amount); so what you could do is adjust the fan curve (and/or replace the thermal paste). Had you used software for a custom fan curve?

Last edited:
Solution

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019

How do I remove the old drivers? I just built this pc so yes its a clean install of windows and I think Ive downloaded the proper drivers but if you wouldnt mind linking me to them just to make sure?

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
You get the drivers from Nvidia, you have to make sure you select the proper drop-downs for your device and Operating System. https://www.geforce.com/drivers

You can remove old drivers with a program called Display Driver Uninstaller. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Thank you , should this is also fix my FPS problem? Im getting really low FPS compared to others which I really want to fix and I want to fix the UserBenchmarks score that says my GPU is underperforming .

- Cubixty

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
It would be a good place to start troubleshooting.
Also I forgot to ask but when I uninstall drivers would it mean I wont be able to see anything on screen? Because my cpu doesn't have intergrated graphics

EDIT : p.s : if you wouldn't mind dropping me a video explaining how to do the driver uninstallation I would be very grateful . Thx for your help

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
You can still use your GTX 970 after you uninstall the driver.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-2B14Nckw
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it

*Edit: If you are seeing temps in the low 80s, that is kinda warm (but it wouldn't affect performance any noticeable amount); so what you could do is adjust the fan curve (and/or replace the thermal paste). Had you used software for a custom fan curve?
Ive just replaced the thermal paste and its gone from 50C while idle to 40C in my eyes that's a huge improvement . Would I still need the Fan Curve?

TRENDING THREADS