Question GPU Thermal paste

Jun 28, 2022
Hi I took apart my GPU and removed dust and cleaned with alcohol and applied new thermal paste and was wondering what is normal protocol after doing this?

I figured maybe I should just let it sit for awhile for thermal paste to dry but not really sure if its necessary so just wondering what the normal protocol is?

Also I dont know anything about thermal paste i just watched some video's on yt about cleaning GPU and copied what they did.

I used Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste and spread it on whole GPU Plate. Not to thick but medium amount. Did I do it correct?

Jun 28, 2022
Do you mean you covered the whole board with thermal paste?

No, just the silver plate. I cleaned the old paste off and applied new paste.

Also not sure if it is normal but the whole middle of board was dark colored from what looked like moisture and was sticky.

The dust was sticking to it pretty good but the GPU cooler and fans are right underneath board so figured its normal moisture from that. Wasn't really wet but dark colored and sticky.

DaronMal

Distinguished
Why did you take it apart in the first place? You also don't need to wait for it to dry, if the thermal paste is dry that's a bad thing but it will take a long time if it's quality. Did you spill something on it?

Jun 28, 2022
Why did you take it apart in the first place? You also don't need to wait for it to dry, if the thermal paste is dry that's a bad thing but it will take a long time if it's quality. Did you spill something on it?

I took it apart because pc keeps crashing when I play games and when I do GPU stress test.

I didn't spill anything on it. I googled it though and found that the sticky moisture is oil from the thermal pads and it is normal and doesn't hurt anything.

TRENDING THREADS