[SOLVED] GPU thermal sensors malfunction?

Hanleyjaa

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
this isn't my own problem but my friend has a Radeon r9 390x and when he boots his pc up sitting idle with 6% GPU usage but the temperature the system displays is 90 Celsius and after a bit of time or if he launches a game making the temp increase causes the pc to shut off my guess is to prevent damage to system from heat, but the gpu isn't even being used, its literally at 0-6% usage, is it a malfunctioning heat sensor on the gpu? also he cleaned all the dust ETC out of the system with exact same results

Solution
Could be a sensor malfuncton, could be that the heatsink has come loose and isn't making proper contact with the GPU die anymore. If your GPU's VRM is reporting power draw, you may want to have a look to confirm that power draw looks consistent with 6% load.

InvalidError

Titan
Could be a sensor malfuncton, could be that the heatsink has come loose and isn't making proper contact with the GPU die anymore. If your GPU's VRM is reporting power draw, you may want to have a look to confirm that power draw looks consistent with 6% load.

Solution