[SOLVED] GPU throttles at weird times

Feb 3, 2021
For context I have an old gtx760 , the issue only happens when playing warzone for some reason the GPU temperature gets capped at 75C ONLY when playing . This just happened recently too and I don't remember changing anything . I don't think it's thermal throttling because I play other games and the GPU sits comfortably at 85-90 C and gives me the usual fps. Before this happened I would get an average of 80fps in Warzone and now It dips to an average of 20. I have no idea what is causing this but it seems to me that there must be something telling the GPU to not allow itself to go past 75C while playing Warzone.

Specs: i5 4670k , GTX760 , 8gb RAM 1333 ,TX650M , Gigabyte ZA87N

Update: I checked the stats with MSI afterburner , and for some reason what the GPU does while in the main menu and actually playing the game seems reversed. While in the main menu the GPU load is near 100% the TDP is 75% , and the temps are 85C the CPU temp also increases to normal playing levels to 70C. However once I actually get into a game the exact opposite occurs the GPU immediately throttles and drops down in temp to 60ishC then stabilizes to 75C in a couple seconds and NEVER goes past this. The CPU temp lowers to 50C and the TDP to 40%.

Update #2: This only happens in the main menu ONCE I press play , if I go back to the first menu where it gives you the option to press play or play BO or other gamemodes , everything reverts to normal and it mirrors the same numbers that happen when I am actually playing the game.

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. If you have a number of BIOS to reach before you get to the latest, gradually work your way to the latest. Also, what version of Windows 10 are you on? You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the game in question as this is one of the numerous titles out there that have had a bug surface after updates/patches came through.

You can also use DDU, uninstall your GPU drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers for your Nvidia GPU using the latest from Nvidia's support site. Install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. If you have a number of BIOS to reach before you get to the latest, gradually work your way to the latest. Also, what version of Windows 10 are you on? You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the game in question as this is one of the numerous titles out there that have had a bug surface after updates/patches came through.

You can also use DDU, uninstall your GPU drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers for your Nvidia GPU using the latest from Nvidia's support site. Install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution