[SOLVED] GPU to rival PS5 question

Dec 16, 2020
I am getting a little tired of not being able to get my hands on a PS5.

Maybe its best to just go with PC gaming although my game of choice, FIFA, will only have the basic version for PC whereas PS5 gets next gen.

Anyway I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600 and 16GB of 3600mz RAM. So all I really need is a GPU.

Would a $300 graphics card give me the same performance as a PS5? I found some on this article here, will they do the job?

https://www.gizmofusion.com/best-graphics-cards-under-300/.

Or would I need to spend more? Say any of these ones? https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 4020

Solution
Just wait. Fortune favors the patient with things like this.

The PS5 may be capable of nice graphics but it's game library is so pathetic right now that it simply doesn't matter. By the time it does, you will be able to get a $300 that pees all over a PS5.

That is always the case because they bring out new GPUs every 7 seconds (ok maybe not that fast but you know what I mean).

At this point my PC has thousands of games - more than I could ever hope to play. No console can rival what can be done on a PC these days.

Right now that $300 would be better spent on some awesome new controllers. A decent light gun set up or a new force feedback race wheel etc. You can't play Ghost Squad with a real arcade recoil gun on a PS5 but I can on...
I find it very hard to compare pc and console. What resolution and Hz do you want to game at?

If we take 4K 60Hz for example a PS5 can produce 4K 60fps very well. However it uses techniques to achieve this that are not used by pc. For a pc to achieve 4K 60fps you really want a 3070/6700 or above. In the same games the pc will look noticeably better though. I have a Series X and a pc with a 3080. The same games look significantly better on pc at 4K. I am however very impressed with what the Series X achieves given its a fraction of the price of the pc and is using much weaker hardware.

Reactions: memydidydo
Dec 16, 2020
I find it very hard to compare pc and console. What resolution and Hz do you want to game at?

If we take 4K 60Hz for example a PS5 can produce 4K 60fps very well. However it uses techniques to achieve this that are not used by pc. For a pc to achieve 4K 60fps you really want a 3070/6700 or above. In the same games the pc will look noticeably better though. I have a Series X and a pc with a 3080. The same games look significantly better on pc at 4K. I am however very impressed with what the Series X achieves given its a fraction of the price of the pc and is using much weaker hardware.

Unsure about the res and Hz tbh. I played on my brothers PS5 and it was impressive. Just want something that produces something similar.

It blew my ps4 out the water.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Covid, Chinese New Year month long celebrations and other holdups have put a serious damper on production of GDDR6. Sony uses that in the PS5, the auto industry uses it in dashboards, gpu manufacturers use it for the 3000 series gpus, and others besides.

So anything and everything is at a crawl right now for supply and prices are stupid as a result of the demand.

You won't get a $300 gpu that'll rival the PS5. Be very luck to actually Find a $500+ gpu at all.

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
Just wait. Fortune favors the patient with things like this.

The PS5 may be capable of nice graphics but it's game library is so pathetic right now that it simply doesn't matter. By the time it does, you will be able to get a $300 that pees all over a PS5.

That is always the case because they bring out new GPUs every 7 seconds (ok maybe not that fast but you know what I mean).

At this point my PC has thousands of games - more than I could ever hope to play. No console can rival what can be done on a PC these days.

Right now that $300 would be better spent on some awesome new controllers. A decent light gun set up or a new force feedback race wheel etc. You can't play Ghost Squad with a real arcade recoil gun on a PS5 but I can on my PC and it's a lot of fun!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gx00X9qgzM

Solution