[SOLVED] GPU turns monitor off on 70 degrees

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Hi,

I just bought a new card it's a AMD RX 570 Red Devil 4GB and everytime it hits over 70 degrees, my monitor just goes black, fans and everything is running.
I have my bios set to PEG, i did DDU and reinstalled everything from scratch. Whenever the card gets loaded it just turns all black with no sound. My PSU is 600W ATXMS-N600-VAL CM, more then it needs. Keep in mind i do have a VGA-HDMI. Is it worth trying to get a VGA-DVI I?

Solution
I have the same problem, I never managed to check it out. Majority said its the PSU or GPU, and I hvae only problem with some games and never in the stress tests.

My psu is some rasburo 550w.

Your GPU is TDP 120W , mine is 127W. What I done is in MSI Afterburner lovered clock and memory speed a bit. Also I done undervoltage of the card from 1.148V default to around 1.000V and its working good and lowered temp for more than 10 celsius.

I still guess its the PSU probably but it can be that the drivers were the problem with some games. So you can try to lower mhz in Afterburner a bit and then try. Also try undevoltage a bit.

Try to update your BIOS to the latest version.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have a psu that's for a home/office PC, not for playing games with - it needs to go.
It doesn't even have any kind of 80 Plus Certification(debatable), and:
My PSU is 600W ATXMS-N600-VAL CM, more then it needs.
Quality over quantity, and that psu is neither for a gaming oriented PC; it's not even a true 600w unit. It's actually 468w, and that's not taking into account the temperature limit of the unit, whatever that might be.

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
How can you be sure that's the case? I checked the output of my psu and says 600 on it. The gpu never draws more then 200w at best. I tried giving it less and more power and the result was the same -50 and +50, and sometimes i can't even enter the lobby screen on a game because it black screens on the loading screen, and the gpu pwr on a loading screen is like 20-25w so it's very very low. I'll try getting a new psu.

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
I have the same problem, I never managed to check it out. Majority said its the PSU or GPU, and I hvae only problem with some games and never in the stress tests.

Your GPU is TDP 120W , mine is 127W. What I done is in MSI Afterburner lovered clock and memory speed a bit. Also I done undervoltage of the card from 1.148V default to around 1.000V and its working good and lowered temp for more than 10 celsius.

I still guess its the PSU probably but it can be that the drivers were the problem with some games. So you can try to lower mhz in Afterburner a bit and then try. Also try undevoltage a bit.

Solution

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
How can you be sure that's the case? I checked the output of my psu and says 600 on it. The gpu never draws more then 200w at best. I tried giving it less and more power and the result was the same -50 and +50, and sometimes i can't even enter the lobby screen on a game because it black screens on the loading screen, and the gpu pwr on a loading screen is like 20-25w so it's very very low. I'll try getting a new psu.

Also check my thread maybe you can find some help

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/old-problem-just-want-to-know.3524123/page-3#post-21309869

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017

The BIOS is updated, can i use amd wattman for all this? Or MSI Afterburner has something else added?

007106131_1-39a6bb39f4e4e1de866105882f3e6a37.png

Here is how he knows.
You multiply the 12V rails with their respective Amps and add them. That makes a total of QUESTIONABLE efficiency 468W.

EDIT: The fact that this is not rated as 80%+ makes it a very unreliable product. It should be used powering Office PCs and NOT a gaming rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Dont be discouraged btw, even that guys above are right.

I never had problems with cheaper PSUs like LC power, MS Industrial and similar. I never had some great gaming rig but never had office PC, always somewhere in the middle.
If your PSU have 1x6+2 pin it should be able to power some GPU, at least your which isn't using that much power as some cards.

Try behcmarks first. Like Furmark and Valleybench.
For example, when I had my problem, similar as yours, I could run Furmark and Valley with no problems. And we know that Furmark is a stress test. I never happened any problem.

But with PC game Kingdom Come, my monitor turns black before main screen...

You only need 1 unreliable PSU to fail and take everything with it, or if you are lucky just the PSU and give you a great scare not knowing what went with it.

I really don't suggest stress testing a system with a bad quality PSU. Some can easily become a fire hazard.

The PSU is the heart of your system. You should never cheap out on it. If you seriously could buy your own heart, would you buy a unreliable one and do extensive exercise or professional athletism?

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
WOW dude, who said that someone have a bad psu? Also fire hazzard... first thing even bad ones have few protections in them but if they cant supply enough power they would shut down or even dont start the PC. That is more likely to happen than fire hazzard.

Yes he should take another psu and test to eliminate the problem, but dont overreacting.

I am really not overreacting. There are cases of PSUs bursting to flames as there are of simply shutting down. I am not saying that those cases are frequent, I am just saying that they exist. Keep pushing a bad PSU and tell me what happens.

Also, we are not talking about you, we are talking about OP which he clearly has a bad PSU.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll never understand how/why people will:
-Spend $200-500 on a cpu
-Spend $200-1000 on a gpu
Yet can't be bothered to spend even $100 on a good psu... like that's too much or something:rolleyes:

I've seen many a build with I7s, 8-core FXs, and higher end Ryzens combined with some of the more power hungry gpus... and they didn't spend maybe more than $50 on the psu.
Many people have their priorities ass-backwards.

Sure, I won't deny that it's possible to get away with a cheaper power supply. But just like with mixing memory... is it really necessary to take that chance?
They're not all dumpster fires, but some just simply can't deal with the frequent highs and lows that come with gaming loads <- that right there is what wears out cheaper models, eventually becoming unable to supply enough power to the hardware.
Home/office PCs are a constant, steady load, which is a cakewalk for all psus. Some manufacturers even state on their product pages what the psu was designed for! And some are lying basterds regarding their gaming psus - just be careful when shopping around.