Question GPU turns off unexpectedly

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Hi,

I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 950 which "turns off" unexpected at random times and my screen shows No Video Input or goes to Sleep.

"Unexpected" meaning it can turn off while browsing the internet, or in gaming, or when every program is closed at the desktop. And it happens at random times, in general it can happen when there is no heavy load at all. Today everything could be working fine and tomorrow it will turn off like 5-6 times the whole day.

The computer doesn't restart or shutdown, and neither the CPU or the GPU are overheating.

I have 2 good working gaming computers with different builds and I switched the GPU and it happened to both computers. So I'm pretty sure it's the GPU that has the problem.

I was thinking maybe the power supply doesn't apply enough juice to such big card? Both of my builds have a 750W power supply which are new and it's more than enough for the hardware of my 2 other builds to work properly.

I did try to turn off sleep and other power options, and put High Performance on the Nvidia Panel, but it didn't work. And of course I tried switching monitors and/or power cables and VGA or HDMI or DVI.

Any thoughts?

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
I know but I have no complains otherwise. My other GPUs work perfectly on that power supply. But, can it cause such problem on the GTX 950? My other GPUs are the GTX 1070, and the RX 570.

andybgr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
I know, that's why I said the juice is enough on the first post. I mean the GTX 1070 can work. And I agree that the PS is not reliable, and i just "feel" the GTX 950 wants to complain about it.....but I don't know.