Question GPU turns off when another plug plugs into surge protector

Jul 30, 2019
Hi I have looked around but couldn't find the answer.

CPU i5-4590
GPU vega 56 mis air boost
PSU evga 750 watts bronze
Motherboard asus z87

When I plug another plug of any sort into the surge protector that also has my PC plugged into it, my GPU light turn off, my display doenst detect any input anymore, my PC is still running but doesn't auto restart. Fans and everything else seems to be running. Is this normal? Do I have a defective PSU? or sensitive one? I tried different surge protectors and same result.

Thanks in advance

This is not normal.

Here's what I think is happening.

When you plug something else in......the voltage drops due to the load......even if this only happens briefly.

When it drops....its screws up the output voltages on the PSU.

It may be the PSU......but it also may be the outlet and the combination of what you have connected to it.

I would try a different outlet....preferably on a different circuit breaker.

Jul 30, 2019
This is not normal.

Here's what I think is happening.

When you plug something else in......the voltage drops due to the load......even if this only happens briefly.

When it drops....its screws up the output voltages on the PSU.

It may be the PSU......but it also may be the outlet and the combination of what you have connected to it.

I would try a different outlet....preferably on a different circuit breaker.

Thanks for the reply

Thats what I was guessing, I could try not connecting to a surge protector as well and see if it still happens

It could be that you have something strange going on with the surge protector.

Perhaps there is a bad connection and this would make any voltage drop worse.

....but it could also be the outlet itself.....or something upstream of that....which is why I would try a different outlet.

Jul 30, 2019
It could be that you have something strange going on with the surge protector.

Perhaps there is a bad connection and this would make any voltage drop worse.

....but it could also be the outlet itself.....or something upstream of that....which is why I would try a different outlet.

I just tested plugging into the same outlet but not on the surge protector, seems like it could be the outlet. Same thing happened, I tried different surge protectors before and had the same issue, I bought a new one because I thought it was the surge protector at first

Here's the thing.....whenever you plug anything that has any significant load into an outlet.....the voltage drops. The more the load the more it drops.

Usually this drop is very small and is generally not noticeable.

In your case....I think either the drop is not small.....or the PSU is sensitive to very small drops in voltage.

Another possibility is that the voltage is low to begin with and that little bit of drop is too much for the PSU.

Jul 30, 2019
Here's the thing.....whenever you plug anything that has any significant load into an outlet.....the voltage drops. The more the load the more it drops.

Usually this drop is very small and is generally not noticeable.

In your case....I think either the drop is not small.....or the PSU is sensitive to very small drops in voltage.

Another possibility is that the voltage is low to begin with and that little bit of drop is too much for the PSU.

So I tested a bunch of outlets and surge protectors, turns out the new one I bought is more sensitive than the first one I had. Any load would cause it to trip, and the older one actually was less sensitive. And it didn't matter which if it was something plugged into the surge protector or the same wall outlet. I think its a combination of the load drop and the sensitivity of the PSU. Maybe should got a gold rated one instead of the bronze. Thanks for all the help

Could be the outlets are wired wrong and no ground in the US the long slot is neutral and the short is hot. Most surge protectors won't trip until you have 15 Amps on it. They make a outlet tester that shows if it is wired right. https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-Teste...utlet+tester&qid=1564509207&s=gateway&sr=8-12
The wire maybe 14 gauge or smaller, my brothers house they had 14 gauge run to the Garage and it wouldn't support a Freezer.

So I tested a bunch of outlets and surge protectors, turns out the new one I bought is more sensitive than the first one I had. Any load would cause it to trip, and the older one actually was less sensitive. And it didn't matter which if it was something plugged into the surge protector or the same wall outlet. I think its a combination of the load drop and the sensitivity of the PSU. Maybe should got a gold rated one instead of the bronze. Thanks for all the help
Yeah....as was said....the Gold rating is efficiency. You can have Gold rated crap.
Are you in the US?
Do you have a voltmeter?
It would be interesting to know what the voltage is at the outlet.