GPU turns on some of the time

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi all,

I'm becoming desperate for suggestions to this. I have a GTX 780 GPU installed in my PC. For the most part it's worked fine. I moved to a new apartment and when I hooked up my PC nothing showed on the monitors. I opened my PC and inspected and noticed that when I turned on my PC, all the components turned on except my GPU (fans were not spinning). I reseated my GPU several times and finally it worked. I put the side of my PC case back on and the GPU stopped working again. I've had these results for the last several days, where the GPU would not turn on at all, I'd get it once then it wouldn't turn back on again.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I've been trying to get everything set up in my new apartment but this has taken up the last several nights after work and really held everything else up. I've close to just selling the whole darn thing. :(

Solution
I also had this same issue when upgrading to a 760. Everything would power up except the 760... SOMETIMES. Usually I'd just hit reset on my tower until it clicked on. I also installed a new PSU at the same time so I knew that wasn't the issue. Sometimes I could "wiggle" the GPU before turning on the computer and it would work. Never had any issues while my computer was on, only when booting up.

Now for the bad news, I too looked into the issue but couldn't find anything. I didn't think to much of it because I was upgrading my MB and getting a new case soon and was thinking it may be a PCI-e slot issue with my older MSI motherboard. Sure enough after putting in a new Z77 everything booted up just fine and I haven't had any issues since...

Jake Lloyd

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I also had this same issue when upgrading to a 760. Everything would power up except the 760... SOMETIMES. Usually I'd just hit reset on my tower until it clicked on. I also installed a new PSU at the same time so I knew that wasn't the issue. Sometimes I could "wiggle" the GPU before turning on the computer and it would work. Never had any issues while my computer was on, only when booting up.

Now for the bad news, I too looked into the issue but couldn't find anything. I didn't think to much of it because I was upgrading my MB and getting a new case soon and was thinking it may be a PCI-e slot issue with my older MSI motherboard. Sure enough after putting in a new Z77 everything booted up just fine and I haven't had any issues since (3 months, LOTS of use).

Hopefully someone on here knows more about the PCI-e slot and if that can make a difference when installing new GPUs in a older MB.

Solution

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Thank you for the reply Jake. I'm hoping it's not the mobo :/ the whole system is new (was built back in Jan.) My PC specs are below:

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Sorry about that! Mobo is: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150

Unfortunately, this is my only desktop in the apartment. :/

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

I tried the second PCI-e slot and got the same result. I couldn't get to the third PCI-e slot b/c of cabling.