[SOLVED] GPU Tweak 3 - Power target won't go above 105% ?!

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
Good morning,

As the title says, I'm using GPU TWEAK 3 , I'm able to increase the GPU core clock and memory clock both by +140 MHz (stable) .. higher than that my games start crashing.
Thing I'm confused with is that in online video I see people able to raise there power target up to 125% .. My max power target on the slider is 105%, why is that?! why can't I go higher, up to 125%?

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

PSU NZXT C850 ATX Gaming Power Supply / NP-C850M-US

Memory 32 GB - 2X (CORSAIR 16GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE RGB MEMORY )

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz

Motherboard Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. - MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK (MS-7B18)

Video Card
GIGABYTE - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 VISION 24G GDDR6

Cooling CYBERPOWERPC DEEPCOOL CASTLE 360EX ARGB AIO LIQUID

Hard Drives 1TB ADATA XPG ASX6000LNP-1TT-C PCIE NVME M.2 SSD
240GB WD GREEN SSD 2.5" SATAIII 6.0 GB/s
3TB HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200RPM 6.0 GB/s 64MB CACHE

The first thing to note are tweaks like these are suggestions for the GPU to take, not absolute orders. The GPU won't go to 125% because you told it to, it's merely "it's okay to go up to 125% if you think so"

As far as your issue goes though and because you didn't mention, this looks more like you didn't bump the voltage up.

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
The first thing to note are tweaks like these are suggestions for the GPU to take, not absolute orders. The GPU won't go to 125% because you told it to, it's merely "it's okay to go up to 125% if you think so"

As far as your issue goes though and because you didn't mention, this looks more like you didn't bump the voltage up.

No I didn't touch the voltage, and I'm not planning to ..

I see, so is that a bad thing for (meaning for choosing this card) any thoughts on that card in general. I'll leave it at +140MHz.
Assuming the card can boost up to 1.9GHz, maybe 2.0GHz (I don't believe it stops at 1.755), then 0.14GHz is barely even 5% better performance and that's assuming clock speeds and performance scale linearly (which they likely don't)

You're not losing much here.

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
Assuming the card can boost up to 1.9GHz, maybe 2.0GHz (I don't believe it stops at 1.755), then 0.14GHz is barely even 5% better performance and that's assuming clock speeds and performance scale linearly (which they likely don't)

You're not losing much here.

Yes, it does go over 2.0 GHz in gaming .. thanx for the response.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see, so is that a bad thing for (meaning for choosing this card) any thoughts on that card in general. I'll leave it at +140MHz.
It's not bad at all, though it doesn't amount to much, since the Gpu Boost algorithm draws out the vast majority of performance out of the cards anyway.
If that card had higher power limits than it already does, it would run warmer. Higher thermals leads to lower sustained boost frequencies if that extra heat isn't accounted for.

Reactions: MoeNAGY

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
It's not bad at all, though it doesn't amount to much, since the Gpu Boost algorithm draws out the vast majority of performance out of the cards anyway.
If that card had higher power limits than it already does, it would run warmer. Higher thermals leads to lower sustained boost frequencies if that extra heat isn't accounted for.

Thanx

TRENDING THREADS