Question GPU under performing?

Jun 15, 2019
Hi there,

I think my PC is under performing but I don't know why, any ideas?
My current specs and some temperatures.

CPU
Intel Core i5 3550S @ 3.00GHz 49 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz
Motherboard
ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 37 °C
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (NVIDIA) 49 °C
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA ) 42 °C
Power Supply
Corsair 550w

• All my drivers are updated.
  • Haven't tried looking into bios or overclocking.

I have tried the Unigine Heaven benchmark test and on ultra settings (everything maxed out) I got a score of 81 average frames per second.
Here are the current frames i get on games that I play.
CS:GO, low settngs - 120
Rainbow 6, low - medium settings - 90
Fortnite, low settings - uncapped I would get 60 - 180 fps but it stutters a lot and lags (i've noticed that when i uncap my fps my CPU usage goes to 100%) so i have to cap it to 120 and it's stable and not laggy (My CPU decreases from 100% and goes to around 70%)

I've seen youtube videos of people with the same CPU and GPU as well as the same RAM get more fps.
I've seen CS:GO with people gettng 200 fps+
I've seen Fortnite with people getting 180-200 with no lag on uncapped fps.

Any ideas to what's going on?

Thank you.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
65c is max temperature for sure ? get hwinfo and hwmonitor and open sensors tab and run them on backround while gaming, download also gpu-z and open sensors tab leave that open too. After playing 2-3 games check what max temps you got on the graphics card(gpu-z) and cpu cores on hwmoniotor and hwinfo.

go to power plans in windows settings and select prefer maximum performance plan. test after do you still get lags? You might either thermal throttle with either cpu or gpu.
Im still fine running my 9 year old i7 which has 4 core 8 thread. Fortnite uses alot more CPU and it utilizes 4 cores very well, when i turn off hyperthreading im getting 90-95% usage and hyperthreading on barely 60-75% even with 980ti.

what is your corsair psu exact model ?

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
also download prime95 and run Blend test for 15mins and check max core temperatures same time with hwmonitor . If the issue is just cpu bottleneck and not thermal throttling sadly your motherboard wont let you overclock, you can only change ram voltage and timingins for slight advantage, this will kinda give only advantage in fortnite since its badly optimized you can get good gains with ram speed, other games it wont help much at all.

post a picture with cpu-z open SPD tab and take a picture of both slots so we can figure good timings and voltage for dram. Your running at 1066mhz which actually could drop your fps significantly ( only in fortnite)

edit : i gain about 50 fps from 1066 to 2200mhz in fortnite, other games barely 10

Jun 15, 2019
also download prime95 and run Blend test for 15mins and check max core temperatures same time with hwmonitor . If the issue is just cpu bottleneck and not thermal throttling sadly your motherboard wont let you overclock, you can only change ram voltage and timingins for slight advantage, this will kinda give only advantage in fortnite since its badly optimized you can get good gains with ram speed, other games it wont help much at all.

post a picture with cpu-z open SPD tab and take a picture of both slots so we can figure good timings and voltage for dram. Your running at 1066mhz which actually could drop your fps significantly ( only in fortnite)

edit : i gain about 50 fps from 1066 to 2200mhz in fortnite, other games barely 10

SLOT 1 SLOT 2

I'll double check my temperatures and report back with results.

My power supply is Corsair CX 550 W

Last edited:

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Actually what options you see under OC tweaker when you go motherboard bios ? Select maximum multiplier you can choose (CPU Ratio), you can keep intel turbo boost and intel speedstep enabled in the bios since your cpu multiplier is locked and blck should be aswell ( cause of motherboard )

"DRAM Timing Configuration"
This is where you control your ram timings, you have DDR3L memory which is rated for 1.35v but you can put any value up to 1.65v depending your ram wont overheat, its relatively safe until that point. Thing is your VTT / IMC voltage should be withing 0.5v from dram voltage but you have no control over that value its probably sitting somewhere around 1.100v, if you see somewhere voltages in Bios check what value is VTT / imc voltage

You can first try rated settings and see if you want to go further, as you can see in manufactor page your ram is rated 1600mhz so change your "DRAM Frequency" setting to 1600mhz, then under "DRAM Configuration" change the rated values from your CPU-Z picture jedec #6 11-11-11 28

Example: DRAM tcl in bios is same as CAS# latency in CPU-Z set that = 11
  • RAS TO CAS# or TRcd = 11
  • Row Precharge Time (tRP) = 11
  • DRAM tRAS = 28

Then look "Voltage Configuration " and under that Dram voltage, set that to 1,500 volts exactly with + and - keys.

Presss F10 to save settings and try to boot up.
Search google for Ram benchmark so you can see if there is any gain in performance when you tweak things.