GPU Underclocking Itself When Playing Games

TheBeastHimself19

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
I seem to be having a problem with my GPU. I was playing ACIV Black Flag and noticed that after playing for about 15 minutes my performance would drop immensely. So i decided to monitor my gpu with GPU-Z and noticed that my GPU downlocks itself all the way to 405 mhz and stays there. My stock speeds are 837Mhz with 915 Boost Clock, and i am running a Nvidia GT 745M. Can someone please tell me what the issue is because i used to be able to run my games flawlessly but now I am having this problem not only on ACIV but also Streetfighter 4, ACIII, Far Cry 3, and Tomb Raider. I just dont understand whats going on these games used to run fine before. I've only had my computer for about a month and a half.

could be a few things...one the gpu is getting to hot and to save itself is slowing down. check your fans. and try getting extra airflow for the laptop. check in the bios look at your power setings,check that your laptop has the newest bios on it.

Hi,

Since your playing games on a laptop:

1- play games with power cable plug in or it tries to save the battery
2- change the power settings to no power saving (control panel, power option)
3- monitor your temperature, might be overheating (msi afterburner)
4- update you GPU driver

TheBeastHimself19

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

Well my gpu max temp when playing my games are 76 C. Idk if that considered high or not. I have updated to the latest nvidia driver 355.53, and i always play with the laptop charger plugged in and my power option is set to high performance.

TheBeastHimself19

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Well my gpu max temp when playing my games are 76 C. Idk if that considered high or not. I have updated to the latest nvidia driver 355.53, and i always play with the laptop charger plugged in and my power option is set to high performance

Ive tried what u guys said but still to no avail. It just keeps downclocking my gpu