Question gpu underperformance or not utilising 100%

Mar 1, 2022
hey so
i recently got a 3070 ti 8gb gpu
and done some benchmarking
while playing dying light 2 on max settings my gpu will utilise 100% and my cpu will use around 70% which is perfect at around 60-70fps
now switching to cod cold war
max settings roughly 160-180 fps while gpu is only at 50-60% use and cpu is @ around 60-70% also.
i have i7 8700k which isnt bottlenecking because dying light would run @ 100% gpu
my ram has been updated in the bios to run @ 3000mhz 16gbs
ddu wiped the drivers and re installed the latest nvidia
ive found this as a huge problem accross many different games with other users saying that their same specs are underperforming when compared to friends or benchmarks
iv gone into the windows power optins and tweeked those and also nvidia control panel and tuned those also, they increased my fps a bit but gpu still running very low
In warzone im only getting 90-100 fps 1080p when it should be doubled
can anyone help? Cheers

Depending on the settings and what else is going on with the game, it may not cause the GPU to go to 100%. The CPU is responsible for the maximum frame rate your system can obtain, and sometimes this is limited by how well each core performs once the game no longer makes use of a certain number of threads. Rather than worry about the GPU not being at 100%, worry if the performance you're getting is what you want. Since you seem to be happy with 60 FPS in one game, I don't see there being a problem if another is getting over 150.

Mar 1, 2022
Depending on the settings and what else is going on with the game, it may not cause the GPU to go to 100%. The CPU is responsible for the maximum frame rate your system can obtain, and sometimes this is limited by how well each core performs once the game no longer makes use of a certain number of threads. Rather than worry about the GPU not being at 100%, worry if the performance you're getting is what you want. Since you seem to be happy with 60 FPS in one game, I don't see there being a problem if another is getting over 150.

hey yeah ofc i am happy with the results but in other benchmarks people are running their games at 95-100% gpu usage getting over 200 fps on warzone
while im still sitting on 90-110 which is close to what my 1070 was getting
even maxing the settings out isnt changing the utilisation which means its being capped as others with similar/same specs are getting all their usage

Looking at a few videos of Warzone's performance on an i7-8700K, I'm inclined to believe that 120 FPS is about where it should be depending on the scene and map. It may jump up to 150 FPS or so, but nowhere near 200 FPS that you're implying.

In any case, if you really want to check if this is a problem, go run other benchmarks and compare the results to professional reviews. If you're getting roughly the same numbers, there's nothing wrong with the hardware or the drivers.

Mar 1, 2022
in fortnite im getting 150 avg fps but only 33 % gpu usage while my mate iwth 11th gen is and a 2080ti is running it at 95% high fps
something is capping it

in fortnite im getting 150 avg fps but only 33 % gpu usage while my mate iwth 11th gen is and a 2080ti is running it at 95% high fps
something is capping it
Well, then you can do this:
  • Reset UEFI settings to their defaults, then bump up the RAM to whatever spec it supports
  • Completely reinstall Windows
  • Install only the drivers, no extra software like GFE or MSI Afterburner
  • Configure the system to your liking, with the exception of anything that would normally trigger a UAC prompt.
This should give you a completely blank slate to work with.

Mar 1, 2022
Well, then you can do this:
  • Reset UEFI settings to their defaults, then bump up the RAM to whatever spec it supports
  • Completely reinstall Windows
  • Install only the drivers, no extra software like GFE or MSI Afterburner
  • Configure the system to your liking, with the exception of anything that would normally trigger a UAC prompt.
This should give you a completely blank slate to work with.
yeah alright ill have to give that a go
the problem seems to be quite common as i was on forums for hours last night and people had the same problems but no answer wether its just not utilising its capability

hey so
i recently got a 3070 ti 8gb gpu
and done some benchmarking
while playing dying light 2 on max settings my gpu will utilise 100% and my cpu will use around 70% which is perfect at around 60-70fps
now switching to cod cold war
max settings roughly 160-180 fps while gpu is only at 50-60% use and cpu is @ around 60-70% also.
i have i7 8700k which isnt bottlenecking because dying light would run @ 100% gpu
my ram has been updated in the bios to run @ 3000mhz 16gbs
ddu wiped the drivers and re installed the latest nvidia
ive found this as a huge problem accross many different games with other users saying that their same specs are underperforming when compared to friends or benchmarks
iv gone into the windows power optins and tweeked those and also nvidia control panel and tuned those also, they increased my fps a bit but gpu still running very low
In warzone im only getting 90-100 fps 1080p when it should be doubled
can anyone help? Cheers
When you say your CPU is around 60-70% is that across all cores or do some cores have low utilization (nothing game-related) and others almost pinned at 90%+?

hey so all cores ar within rougly 2% of eachother and are always 65-70% usage they arent bottlenecking
The CPU not being at 100% utilization is not an indication it's not bottlenecking. Windows passes threads around cores to evenly spread the load. Being at 70% just means that on average for a 16T processor, about 11 threads are actively being serviced because that's how much work the application can muster.

At that point, single core performance determines how much performance you end up getting.

Mar 1, 2022
The CPU not being at 100% utilization is not an indication it's not bottlenecking. Windows passes threads around cores to evenly spread the load. Being at 70% just means that on average for a 16T processor, about 11 threads are actively being serviced because that's how much work the application can muster.

At that point, single core performance determines how much performance you end up getting.
mmm so you think its a cpu bottleneck?

Mar 1, 2022

ive seen on similar threads people with same issues
they'll have exact same specs as their friends but in general games will not have the same fps with 50-100 sometimes even 200fps difference with exact same specs
theyve done the same as me with tuning and ddu their drives and reinstall through nvidia
a lot of people are having this problem

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Sheesh, I'm happy just getting 30 fps in MSFS. I wouldn't put too much faith in what other people are saying about their systems performance., I would find reviews online to see generally what video cards are achieving what frames in whatever games, and take that with a grain of salt. There are no "exact same specs" because there are too many variables to deal with. Do you know the stepping of the CPU on this other system? Do you know what power plan that person has chosen? Or if his hard drive is MBR or GPT? None of those things really matter, but hopefully you get the point. You may feel like you get no satisfaction; however, you must accept that you can't always get what you want, and if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.