Question GPU Underperforming after weird crash and no error messages ?

Jul 7, 2024
Full Hardware Description:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
MB: Asus TUF B550M-Plus Gaming WiFi
PSU: CORSAIR CX850M BRONZE
Drives: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB (Windows); Crucial M.2 P3 Plus NVMe (Games)

About one week ago, while playing a game, my PC crashed. It kept running, with no image and the DRAM Q-LED lit up. Pressed the restart button and nothing happened. Pressed and hold the power button for a force shutdown and nothing happened. So I eventually had to switch off the PSU button to shut it down.
Everything looked fine, continued playing videogames during the next week like I normally do.

Yesterday, after a gaming session and while watching a video on Youtube, the video started stuttering a lot (like low FPS). And then, after about 5 seconds of the stuttering starting, the same crash happened (with the DRAM Q-LED lit up). Only difference now was that all the fans on the computer started to rotate crazy fast (the computer was making the loudest noise I've ever heard from a computer, almost sounded like a vacuum) and I quickly did a force shutdown by pressing and holding the power button. When I turned it on again, I had no image and the VGA Q-LED stayed on.

The "turning on with no image and VGA Q-LED on" thing was something that happened previously a couple of times and is apparently very common on this Motherboard. The quickfix for this was by clearing CMOS and I eventually permanently fixed it by updating the BIOS (which was something I never did before).

This time, as I assume that this issue is different because of the crashes, I just did a reseat of the RAM and the GPU, with an overall cleaning of the computer. It worked, the computer ran completely fine.

But now I have very low FPS in videogames. For example, in FFXIV I'm getting 25-40 FPS when it usually is 100+ and on Hunt: Showdown 50 FPS on the menu, when it's usually 120.

I ran some tests:
BurnInTest for the overall system + individually for memory, GPU and CPU. All with 0 errors;
Windows Memory Diagnostic with 0 errors;
UserBenchamark indicates that the GPU is severely underperforming: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/68201686
Cinebench test for GPU with a score of ~2000. The only reference I found only for my GPU was ~7000;
My GPU while gaming or running these tests is with ~100% utilization, but the temperature doesnt go above 50ºC and the fans won't turn on (because the temperature is low). This never happened, the fans are always on when I play a game.

Any idea of what can be tested further to understand what exactly is the problem?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is this the unit with the green label or grey label? How old is the unit? You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU and see if the issue persists.

Your Userbenchmark info with what's listed on Asus's support site for your motherboard shows that you have a BIOS update pending.

Reactions: Miguifp
Jul 7, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is this the unit with the green label or grey label? How old is the unit? You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU and see if the issue persists.

Your Userbenchmark info with what's listed on Asus's support site for your motherboard shows that you have a BIOS update pending.
Hey, thank you for your help :)

BIOS is updated now, everything is the same.

PSU was bought new in mid 2019. Grey label.

If it helps in any way, GPU power consumption was around 50 W while GPU usage was at 100% during the tests.

I have screenshots of all the info on the sensors with HWinfo while trying to game, if you require any additional info

TRENDING THREADS