Question Gpu underperforming even after motherboard replacement

smoothpeanut22

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hey :)
So it's been a year since I've built my pc and haven't found a solution for its performance issues, My gpu (gtx1060 6gb) was underperforming as hell but there was nothing wrong with it's drivers I've used DDU to completely uninstall drivers and have also completely wiped out my pc several times but still when it comes to gaming my 1060 performs really bad. Recently I was having some issues with my motherboard so I sent it for RMA and they sent me a replacement but the replacement unit was defective because its pcie slot wasn't working so I wasn't getting any display so they gave me another replacement which worked for me, but still my gpu is underperforming. I've tried using different psu but same results have also tried swapping my i5 7500 with a different i5 7500 but still same results. I doubt that my mobo could be the culprit but then I think if it was it should've fixed the gpu performance issue after the replacement. and yeah I've tried using my gpu on my friend's pc and it works amazing with it and the only difference in our system's is the motherboard.
My pc specs
Motherboard - Asus strix B250f
processor - i5 7500
Ram - 16 gb dual channel corsair vengeance
psu - Corsair cx 550
Gpu - Gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb OC windforce

smoothpeanut22

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
What form does this underperformance take? How do you determine it?

Do you use any hardware monitor to see how your PC is performing?
I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor everything from cpu usage to gpu usage, getting massive frame drops and I've made sure that nothing is bottlenecking the gpu and I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers and BIOS is also up to date too :(

Right. So what also happens with when these frame drops (fps? frame times?) occur?

I would monitor: CPU (all cores/threads), GPU and RAM usage and frequencies; CPU and GPU temperatures; fps and frame times; and page file. These are the usual suspects when game performance takes a downturn for the worse.

smoothpeanut22

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Right. So what also happens with when these frame drops (fps? frame times?) occur?

I would monitor: CPU (all cores/threads), GPU and RAM usage and frequencies; CPU and GPU temperatures; fps and frame times; and page file. These are the usual suspects when game performance takes a downturn for the worse.
Cpu and gpu temperatures are fine although in some games the frametime is not stable due to fps drops plus I've noticed even in single player games if somehow I get constant 60fps with a constant frametime still the game feels laggy and the response feels kinda slow, I've played games on my friend's pc and it feels butter smooth, I've tried turning vsyn on and off including locking the fps, I've also monitored pagefile like in battlefield 1 it shows around 12-13 GB in afterburner as it is the total of ram and virtual memory apart from it the ram usage sticks around 8 gb's, although I have 16 GB of total Ram but it still uses around 3-4 gb's of pagefile but there's something new I found out today that if I disable cpu power management options in BIOS like "cpu c states" it gives like 10% improvement to the performance but still doesn't work the way it should be. I'm always getting frame drops also one thing I forgot to mention earlier is that once I did a pc performance health test from the windows performance tool and in that windows reported that all of my hardware from Ram to processor and gpu was performing badly but I don't know what's the reason behind it because I've checked and tried every single solution on the internet have also swapped various psu's but it stays the same :(

Cpu and gpu temperatures are fine although in some games the frametime is not stable due to fps drops plus I've noticed even in single player games if somehow I get constant 60fps with a constant frametime still the game feels laggy and the response feels kinda slow, I've played games on my friend's pc and it feels butter smooth, I've tried turning vsyn on and off including locking the fps, I've also monitored pagefile like in battlefield 1 it shows around 12-13 GB in afterburner as it is the total of ram and virtual memory apart from it the ram usage sticks around 8 gb's, although I have 16 GB of total Ram but it still uses around 3-4 gb's of pagefile but there's something new I found out today that if I disable cpu power management options in BIOS like "cpu c states" it gives like 10% improvement to the performance but still doesn't work the way it should be. I'm always getting frame drops also one thing I forgot to mention earlier is that once I did a pc performance health test from the windows performance tool and in that windows reported that all of my hardware from Ram to processor and gpu was performing badly but I don't know what's the reason behind it because I've checked and tried every single solution on the internet have also swapped various psu's but it stays the same :(
Ok so lets go back to beginning, what monitor are you using at what resolution? Have you tried the card in another slot? Is your chipset up to date I.E. Version 11.7.0.1057 ? What speed is your ram? Have you tried setting windows power setting to high performance? Do you use MSI Afterburner to control the gpu? What games are you using that don't play well? Can you post your nvidia 3d settings panel page? Here is a handy site that shows you what you can expect with your hardware. You can change the quality settings to see the differences and shows you at different resolutions. https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060/intel-core-i5-7500-3-40ghz/

smoothpeanut22

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Ok so lets go back to beginning, what monitor are you using at what resolution? Have you tried the card in another slot? Is your chipset up to date I.E. Version 11.7.0.1057 ? What speed is your ram? Have you tried setting windows power setting to high performance? Do you use MSI Afterburner to control the gpu? What games are you using that don't play well? Can you post your nvidia 3d settings panel page? Here is a handy site that shows you what you can expect with your hardware. You can change the quality settings to see the differences and shows you at different resolutions. https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060/intel-core-i5-7500-3-40ghz/
I'm using a 1080p 60 hz full hd monitor and yes I've tried using the card in another slot but it gives me same results, all my motherboard drivers are up to date I installed the same chipset version 11.7.0.1057 again but in device manager it says a different version of my driver. I'm using dual channel corsair vengeance 16 gb ddr4 lpx 2400 mhz c16 ram kit. Yes I've tried setting windows power setting to high performance mode but no changes at all. No I don't use afterburner to control the gpu I only use it to monitor the fps and the card works same even if I uninstall afterburner. Every single game no matter if it is demanding or not but still I face fps issues with it. Usually I play battlefield 1, cs go and some single player games too. here's the image of my nvidia control panel. and one more thing I've tried changing nvidia control panel performance mode to maximum performance too but it doesn't help apart from it all of the drivers are up to date. And yes I've seen the benchmarks of my card before and it's not performing like that even I've compared it with the people who have the same specs as mine, but my card can't even give me 50 % of the performance of what they're getting.Image and video hosting by TinyPic