GPU underperforming yet not overheating?

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
My rig has a gtx 1080ti, i7 8700k, 16gb RAM. And over the last week it has been performing very weird.

It's maxing out utilization even when playing non load heavy games like Stardew Valley. I've attached the gpu monitor screenshot while running this game. It should be known I also had OBS up and capturing the game at the same time.

only getting about 50 fps in the game when it's the focused application, and the gpu utilization is the same for obs and the game on my task manager, pushing it up to 100%. Temps are normal. This makes no sense to me.

https://imgur.com/zJwDL3H

Edit: I've also tried loading up fortnite, that seems to be fine, but I do see the cpu usage go up to around 40% while the gpu is right around 40% as well. Very confusing.

Solution

I've solved it, OBS was no longer auto updating. Microsoft pushed some update that messed with the way obs captures some games (DirectX9 games i think it said). Anyways, i had to manually update my obs and its performing far better now. Only problem now is Desktop Window Manager getting a little lofty with its GPU usage.

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
1440p, and I've played so many games with no problems at this res. This problem only began recently maybe about the last 2 weeks.

Never tried uninstalling old drivers. I'll have to give that a try when I get home. Any other things it could be?

Well try that first and we will go from there.

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

Well I downloaded DDU, uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled the latest fresh, still same problem, no change

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

I've solved it, OBS was no longer auto updating. Microsoft pushed some update that messed with the way obs captures some games (DirectX9 games i think it said). Anyways, i had to manually update my obs and its performing far better now. Only problem now is Desktop Window Manager getting a little lofty with its GPU usage.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS