[SOLVED] GPU underperforming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2021
Hello everyone,

So recently i started noticing weird fps drops in all my games and i went on a investigation to find the problem. After trying different things nothing worked and it started to frustrate me so i went for a pc benchmark to see if anything was wrong with my pc and while running it when it got to the GPU part i seen that it didn't go over 60 fps it stayed mostly around 40 fps when a while ago it had no trouble going over de 100 fps during the benchmark so its performing like 60% less. I have tried resetting my pc and reinstalling drivers but that didn't seem to work.

My GPU is a MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Gaming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since i am at an end here.

https://ibb.co/K9LnXww <---- benchmark

Solution
(Oversimplification)
  • The CPU is in charge of telling the GPU what to "draw" in each frame.
  • Once it receives the draw call from the CPU, the GPU draws/renders the frame and sends it off to the monitor.
  • If the CPU is underpowered, it may not be able to compile the draw call for the next frame to be sent to the GPU before the GPU finishes rendering the previous one. The GPU then needs to wait until the draw call comes so it can begin rendering the next frame. This results in <100% GPU utilization.
    • A lot of people with a CPU-limited scenario act to reduce graphics quality settings in search of higher FPS, only to realize that lowering graphics settings does litte/nothing to FPS.
  • If the details of each...

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
That benchmark looks like you’re getting exceptional performance from it. I had an issue with low performance before and solved it, with a clean install of windows. But... all my components were at 0% percentile, while yours are in 90s

Jan 28, 2021
On my GPU it shows 33.7 % below average on the benchmark so it is far from running like it should. Also the fps is way below average.

I just checked my GPU usage during the benchmark and it was on 100%, so while running at full power it wont go above 40-50 fps while before it went way above 100 fps on most tests.

I have the basic OC enabled from my bios but that has been enabled from the start.

I will check the temps in another benchmark.

Jan 28, 2021
In my post i explain having fps drops in all my games which i haven't had before that is why i used a benchmark to see what the problem was and since i know my pc fairly well i instantly noticed the low fps during the benchmark which i haven't had before.

(Oversimplification)
  • The CPU is in charge of telling the GPU what to "draw" in each frame.
  • Once it receives the draw call from the CPU, the GPU draws/renders the frame and sends it off to the monitor.
  • If the CPU is underpowered, it may not be able to compile the draw call for the next frame to be sent to the GPU before the GPU finishes rendering the previous one. The GPU then needs to wait until the draw call comes so it can begin rendering the next frame. This results in <100% GPU utilization.
    • A lot of people with a CPU-limited scenario act to reduce graphics quality settings in search of higher FPS, only to realize that lowering graphics settings does litte/nothing to FPS.
  • If the details of each frame are comparatively difficult to render (aka, lots of details from the game engine and/or high graphics settings) the CPU will be able to "keep up" with sending draw calls to the GPU at/before the GPU finishes the previous frame. This results in at/near 100% GPU utilization. In this situation, a GPU upgrade will be most advantageous.

Solution
In my post i explain having fps drops in all my games which i haven't had before that is why i used a benchmark to see what the problem was and since i know my pc fairly well i instantly noticed the low fps during the benchmark which i haven't had before.
Ok. Then it's time to identify what's changed hardware/software since everything was working fine. This could be driver/windows updates. This could be a game update. This could be higher component temps than before that are causing throttling. This could be some background process(es) chomping up resources. Could be slow internet speeds. etc etc.

Jan 28, 2021
Just now i did a clean install of windows and manually installed all required drivers but it still gave me the same results.

So when it comes to drivers that ain't the thing.

The last thing hardware wise is an m2 SSD i installed a while back but that has only given me better performance.

I just think it is weird that people say the benchmark is fine while i explain having 60% less performance then a month ago and i clearly have trouble getting the fps/performance this card has given me or should give me. also i dont know if this is worth mentioning but my GPU aint using any of its memory.

OK
  1. Userbenchmark is poo
  2. They revamped the graphic tests a few months ago as otherwise the RTX 3090 would have been getting 1000fps..... so older GPU's get a way lower score than before, the bar has been raised.
  3. When it gives you the all-knowing % it is giving you say 45%..... but that is not 45% of other GPUs of the same make and model but 45% of what the average RTX 3090 can do..... apples and oranges
Complete rubbish, very Intel biased, and before anyone starts with the fanboy.... yes my main gaming pc is an all AMD(because I never had a AMD GPU before)/Asus build but I have an i5 in the office, i7 in my laptop with Nvidia graphics and just built a gaming i10 with an Nvidia RTX 2080 for a mate...... so please leave it out.

Reactions: tennis2
Status
Not open for further replies.