Question Gpu undervolt or overclock to gain 5% peeformance on laptop?

Aug 7, 2020
Good night. I recently bought a used laptop with a mx150 and an i7 8550u, mainly for use with light games and 3d programs. But as the card has potential, I decided to try more demanding games as well. I had already asked the former owner to do a benchmark, and the gpu and cpu were above average performance. The notebook is a Lenovo 330, which does not have a good cooling system, but by changing the thermal paste and doing a 91mv undervolt in the processor, I got a pretty decent thermal performance. Anyway, I tried to run the game Nier Automata, very demanding in gpu. At 720p, the game ran between 40 and 50 fps, with no discomfort in the gameplay. At 900p, he averaged 40 fps, but small stutters ended up getting in the way a little. As there is little left for the performance to be good, I think that an undervolt in the gpu can solve it, decreasing the temperature and increasing the stability. Or even a 100hz overclock with a little undervolt ... And video memory overclocking, do you think it would help in this case? What do you think would work best and should I strive to configure?
Or maybe I shouldn't do anything at all and content myself with 720p?
Btw my i7 8550u beats 80% (average=63) and my mx150 14.8% (average=14) on userbenchmark, if that makes any difference... Thanks for any help!

Good night. I recently bought a used laptop with a mx150 and an i7 8550u, mainly for use with light games and 3d programs. But as the card has potential, I decided to try more demanding games as well. I had already asked the former owner to do a benchmark, and the gpu and cpu were above average performance. The notebook is a Lenovo 330, which does not have a good cooling system, but by changing the thermal paste and doing a 91mv undervolt in the processor, I got a pretty decent thermal performance. Anyway, I tried to run the game Nier Automata, very demanding in gpu. At 720p, the game ran between 40 and 50 fps, with no discomfort in the gameplay. At 900p, he averaged 40 fps, but small stutters ended up getting in the way a little. As there is little left for the performance to be good, I think that an undervolt in the gpu can solve it, decreasing the temperature and increasing the stability. Or even a 100hz overclock with a little undervolt ... And video memory overclocking, do you think it would help in this case? What do you think would work best and should I strive to configure?
Or maybe I shouldn't do anything at all and content myself with 720p?
Btw my i7 8550u beats 80% (average=63) and my mx150 14.8% (average=14) on userbenchmark, if that makes any difference... Thanks for any help!

Are the stutters caused by thermal throttling? If yes, you wont really lose anything by trying to undervolt.
Maybe lose or even gain a couple fps but i think 1-2 framerate difference wont really matter if the game is running stable after uv.

Reactions: Acvale
Aug 7, 2020
Yes, when I runned an exclusive GPU bench test, the temperature would repeatedly reach 67oC and quickly drop to 63, producing"waves" on the graph. The CPU was throttling too, but after I disabled the turbo it ceased to throttle. Now there are just a few lags and I think the GPU is the responsible. The problem is that I don't think I can get less than 67oC max just with undervolting,.I wouldn't mind lose fps in order to end this stutterings, although I am already satisfied with the performance. Thanks for the response, by the way.
View: https://imgur.com/tFkUsXW

I don't think there's a way to raise the throttling temperature of the gpu as well...

Last edited: