Question GPU unstable at lower clock speeds, please help!

Mar 8, 2020
I have an AMD Radeon RX 570 4 GB from XFX which I have noticed an issue with, at 1244 MHz which is maximum performance state the GPU runs just fine, but at any thing lower than 1000 MHz comes the problem, the frame rate in games like GTA V stars going like a roller coaster, even though FPS counter gives good frame rate the game's feel changes from smooth to sluggish every 0.25 second, it's really annoying, also at anything lower than 900 MHz I start to notice weird freezes in GTA V, that type of freezes is that when the game freezes for a particle of a second and the sound effect that was happening repeats itself at a really high frequency during that particle of a second, Pretty much like the sound effect when BSOD happens, A sound loop, and at 300 MHz which is the lowest performance state which is used while watching youtube it works fine but every 20~30 minutes the particle of a second freeze I told you about happens

So why is that happening? please help!

PC: i5 4590, 8 GB RAM Dual channel 1600 MHz, XFX RX 570 4 GB no overclock or overvolt/undervolt
Software: Windows 10 pro 64 bit, AMD Radeon software 20.4.2

Last edited:

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I have an AMD Radeon RX 570 4 GB from XFX which I have noticed an issue with, at 1244 MHz which is maximum performance state the GPU runs just fine, but at any thing lower than 1000 MHz comes the problem, the frame rate in games like GTA V stars going like a roller coaster, even though FPS counter gives good frame rate the game's feel changes from smooth to sluggish every 0.25 second, it's really annoying, also at anything lower than 900 MHz I start to notice weird freezes in GTA V, that type of freezes is that when the game freezes for a particle of a second and the sound effect that was happening repeats itself at a really high frequency during that particle of a second, Pretty much like the sound effect when BSOD happens, A sound loop, and at 300 MHz which is the lowest performance state which is used while watching youtube it works fine but every 20~30 minutes the particle of a second freeze I told you about happens

So why is that happening? please help!

PC: i5 4590, 8 GB RAM Dual channel 1600 MHz, XFX RX 570 4 GB no overclock or overvolt/undervolt
Software: Windows 10 pro 64 bit, AMD Radeon software 20.4.2
You didn’t mention the psu so please mention it.i think it’s a psu issue.How old is your gpu and psu+did you use it in mining?I recommend doing a clean install for the driver using (ddu)

Mar 8, 2020
You didn’t mention the psu so please mention it.i think it’s a psu issue.How old is your gpu and psu+did you use it in mining?I recommend doing a clean install for the driver using (ddu)
the PSU is FSP 500-60APN that I bought used last year, The GPU is a used XFX RX 570 that was used for mining for a 1 year or 2 I believe judging by how loud and rattly the fans are (I replaced them)

I have the driver installed on a fresh new windows so I don't need DDU

poorbugger

Distinguished
the PSU is FSP 500-60APN that I bought used last year, The GPU is a used XFX RX 570 that was used for mining for a 1 year or 2 I believe judging by how loud and rattly the fans are (I replaced them)

I have the driver installed on a fresh new windows so I don't need DDU
If it's a mining gpu, then you need to download gpuz and check the bios version there. Make your bios is the default bios not a bios flashed for mining