[SOLVED] GPU upgrade - 2015 PC to 2x1440p

May 12, 2020
Greetings!
I would like to be able to play American Truck Simulator using both of my 1440p 60Hz monitors for a wide view. However, today, the system struggles to maintain 60 FPS on Ultra with just one of the monitors when the in-game lighting gets complicated (seems to happen most around sunrise and sunset when traveling wooded areas). So I'm pretty sure using both isn't feasible now.

The existing setup was put together back in 2015, and even then the GPU was the weakest link:

MB: Asus X-99A
CPU: Intel i7-5820E (6 physical cores at 3.3 GHz)
SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2
RAM: 32 GB, 4x 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series DDR4 2133
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC 4 GB
PSU: It's an Antec, I think 500 or 550 watts.

It looks to me like the best option would be a RTX 2070 Super, but that might be pushing the PSU. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Solution
You might not even need to go quite that high-end. Even something like an RTX 2060 or 2060 SUPER could offer somewhere around three or more times the graphics performance of a GTX 960.

Of course, I'm not too familiar with the demands of that simulator. You could always try running it on two 1440p screen with your current card, and see how performance compares. It will of course be bad, but that might give you a rough idea of how much more performance might be needed to run both screens at 60fps.

Edit: As for the video Sizzling linked and how those cards compare to current models, a 2060 SUPER should be a little faster than a 1080 in most titles, and a regular 2060 should be pretty close to a 1080. A 1660 Ti is about on par with a...
You might not even need to go quite that high-end. Even something like an RTX 2060 or 2060 SUPER could offer somewhere around three or more times the graphics performance of a GTX 960.

Of course, I'm not too familiar with the demands of that simulator. You could always try running it on two 1440p screen with your current card, and see how performance compares. It will of course be bad, but that might give you a rough idea of how much more performance might be needed to run both screens at 60fps.

Edit: As for the video Sizzling linked and how those cards compare to current models, a 2060 SUPER should be a little faster than a 1080 in most titles, and a regular 2060 should be pretty close to a 1080. A 1660 Ti is about on par with a 1070, and a 1660 SUPER just slightly behind that. And a 1650 SUPER is about on par with a 1060, but that card's 4GB of VRAM might potentially impact performance at these higher resolutions. Also, I'm not sure if the "high" preset they were using there varies much from the ultra settings you were talking about, and it is possible that the different aspect ratio of two screens may result in performance differences compared to what was shown at 4K there.

Last edited:
Solution
May 12, 2020
Thanks a lot for the posts. The video didn't go to any of the Oregon or Washington forests where I see the most slowdown, but even still the 1060 dropped below 60 once or twice, so I'm pretty sure the 2070 is my safest bet. I'll give Cryoburner's suggestion of seeing how the existing card does a try too when I get a chance.