[gpu upgrade] $250-300

crimsonsix

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I would like to upgrade my 4870 to something faster and less noisy.

The 3 y.o. rig I currently have is

22" 1680x1050 display
HD 4870
Phenom II x3 720 @ stock 2.8Ghz
4Gb ddr2 800Mhz memory
Asrock A780 full HD microATX mobo
530W PSU

I'd like to be able to play games like RIFT/GW2/starwars on close to max setting, as well as shogun2 and civ5. I plan to stick to 1680x1050 single monitor gaming set up. I might add a second monitor, but for browsing purposes only.

My budget is around $250-300, so I was thinking a 6950. Is it worth upgrading the gpu or should I go ahead and build a new computer?

thanks!

crimsonsix

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the replies!

What about bottle necks? People often site that the cpu is too slow, etc. Would mine be bottlenecking the cards you suggested? (have no idea what bottlenecks are from a technical point of view)

You get a CPU bottleneck when the CPU is not able to handle the game, or you have excess of GPU power. For the P II x3, it's so great and most modern games don't utilize more than 2/3 cores.

You might get a bottleneck when you CF the GPU in the future.

@ gnomio
Do some google search on CPU/GPU bottlenecks, anyway i'll give you some clarifications;-

Basically at low resolutions your GPU isn't working that hard so it's more how many frames can your CPU push though. As your resolution/detail/AA is increased though, the GPU has to work harder and harder to keep up with the CPU and eventually becomes the limiting factor.

Low resolutions means 1024x768/1280x not 1680x with everything maxed out.

The OP might not get the maximum FPS he supposed to get, but this is another thing to discuss and has nothing to do with a CPU bottleneck.