GPU Upgrade advice: Bottlenecking?

CreepinDeth

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Hello everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my video card so I can actually run semi-new games even on low settings without serious framerate issues.

Current setup: IP35 Motherboard, Intel Q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, NVidia GTX 285, Windows 7 x64

I'm looking to replace that 285 with either a GTX 660 or a GTX 750TI. The 750 has lower specs than the 660, and is obviously the better card. But, the 750TI is cheaper and looks to still be considerably better than my old 285.

Here's my question, if I do go with the 660, would the GPU bottleneck on this system and perform just as well as the 750TI anyways (in which case I should just save money and get the 750 TI)?

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Your GTX285 is still a decent basic gaming card.

When you upgrade, you want to make it a big jump, or you may be disappointed if you don't get a big improvement.
The GTX750ti, while a fine card is only a couple of tiers higher. I think the GTX660 would be better.
And... your cpu is fine.
A stronger graphics card will let you use more eye candy regardless.

If you are in no hurry, there may be a GTX960 showing up soon.

And... with windows 64 bit, you might do well to get another 4gb of ram.
Your GTX285 is still a decent basic gaming card.

When you upgrade, you want to make it a big jump, or you may be disappointed if you don't get a big improvement.
The GTX750ti, while a fine card is only a couple of tiers higher. I think the GTX660 would be better.
And... your cpu is fine.
A stronger graphics card will let you use more eye candy regardless.

If you are in no hurry, there may be a GTX960 showing up soon.

And... with windows 64 bit, you might do well to get another 4gb of ram.

Solution