[SOLVED] GPU upgrade advice

Oct 18, 2020
Looking to upgrade the GPU in my kids computer. I'm out of the loop on what is decent these days.

Core i5 4690K @ stock speed
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
16GB ram
600W power supply
GTX 960

Want to spend $200, plus or minus

Solution
Thanks.

The 1660 is definitely out of reach.

As to the 1650, I see prices from $170-400. That is quite the range. I see this one for $250. Is it decent?

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-04g-p4-1357-kr/p/N82E16814487482

Yeah, that's a pretty good one; I have a RTX 2060 that uses the exact same cooler and its nice and quiet.

Now is a rough time to buy a new Graphics Card. The reason for the huge price variance between GPUs right now is because there is a super high demand for GPUs at the same time as there have been widespread shortages. Both Nvidia and AMD have released their next-gen GPUs to high demand which caused them to all be out of stock, causing some of the demand to be funneled toward...
Thanks.

The 1660 is definitely out of reach.

As to the 1650, I see prices from $170-400. That is quite the range. I see this one for $250. Is it decent?

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-04g-p4-1357-kr/p/N82E16814487482

Yeah, that's a pretty good one; I have a RTX 2060 that uses the exact same cooler and its nice and quiet.

Now is a rough time to buy a new Graphics Card. The reason for the huge price variance between GPUs right now is because there is a super high demand for GPUs at the same time as there have been widespread shortages. Both Nvidia and AMD have released their next-gen GPUs to high demand which caused them to all be out of stock, causing some of the demand to be funneled toward last-gen GPUs like this one. Problem is, Nvidia is slowing down production of last-gen GPUs as it transitions over to the new stuff, causing there to be a low supply of both new and old GPUs, driving up prices.

If your kid can wait maybe three months or so (maybe not an option, but I thought I'd run it by you) the market will probably have stabilized a lot and prices will be more reasonable again; Nvidia might even have a RTX 3050 or something like that which will have a much better price/performance ratio than a 1650 super (the one you linked used to sell for only $160 or so just a few months back; for comparison, I bought my RTX 2060 last April brand new for only $300).

Solution