[SOLVED] Is GPU upgrade for CS:GO worth it ?

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Hi everybody. I play csgo a lot and everything is working fine. My fps varies mostly from 200-400 in real game situations (5v5). The small inconvenience I have sometimes. Is the fact that my fps dips under 144 fps in "stressfull" situations (Executes with a lot of smokes, mollies, players, etc. This is quite noticeable since I'm playing with a 144hz monitor. I think mollies and smokes are GPU depended. So would a GPU upgrade to a RTX 2060 help to get my fps above 144 at all times? or would adding a second RAM stick (Dual channel) help to achieve this goal? Will the upgrade improve my fps in those situations?

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: I7-7700k
motherboard: ASRock Z270 pro4
RAM: Team Group Vulcan Vulcan DDR4-2400 16GB (Single channel)
SSD: crucial ct275mx300ssd1
HDD: toshiba dt01aca100
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt 750
Chassis: Sharkoon AI7000 Glass

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Jobjanusz

Solution
Yes, its possible to get above 144fps with RTX 2060.

I also tested Intel Xeon E3-1270v2 (Lower performance than your CPU) and RTX 2060, getting above 300fps all the time (720p) in competitive 5v5 and never reach below 200 fps, even with smoke and mollies.

I think you could get more than that with better cpu

WolfMeister98

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Yes, its possible to get above 144fps with RTX 2060.

I also tested Intel Xeon E3-1270v2 (Lower performance than your CPU) and RTX 2060, getting above 300fps all the time (720p) in competitive 5v5 and never reach below 200 fps, even with smoke and mollies.

I think you could get more than that with better cpu

Reactions: Jobjanusz
Solution
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR game, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My guess is that CSGO is single thread limited.
Run the cpu-Z bench test and look at the single thread performance.
You should be about 500.
Here is a list of other results:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/0gt9vb/1

Yeah for sure, with that setup you can really go wide, 3060ti/3070 is about the most I would match with your setup. Dual channel will help you get more fps, but not likely the boost you are after

Upgrade that first if the fix below doesn't solve your problem and see if you need a new gpu. When I last played csgo to win I was using a fury x with a 6 core ivy bridge using ddr3 and getting about 190fps to 240fps as far as 280-320.

if you are not worried about security as much as you are fps spectre/meltdown fix. this fix hobbles your cpi

in cs go it got me 30% more fps

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

I've done this on as many systems as I can remember.

You will see a big and noticeable jump.

For upgrade 3060ti/3070 or 6600/6600xt/6700/6700xt or the xx50 variants

if you are looking at used cards, 1080 or 1080ti are nice options, people that had those cards were likely gaming on them and they were well taken care of.
I enjoyed the 1070ti I had it was immaculate when I bought it used.

I get the feeling fixing your ram+ inspectre disabled will do a great deal for you to the point you might find the upgrade to be redundant for your needs anyway..

Reactions: Jobjanusz

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR game, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My guess is that CSGO is single thread limited.
Run the cpu-Z bench test and look at the single thread performance.
You should be about 500.
Here is a list of other results:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/0gt9vb/1
Yes I get around 500 points on the single thread performance test. The average fps doesn't change that much. But in areas with a lot of smokes I definitely get more fps. I used the fps benchmark workshop by ulletical. When my character goes through the smokes the fps drops to about 70 fps. If I lower my res from 1600x900 to 1280x720, It only drops to a minimum of 110. So I get atleast 40 fps more by lowering my res.

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah for sure, with that setup you can really go wide, 3060ti/3070 is about the most I would match with your setup. Dual channel will help you get more fps, but not likely the boost you are after

Upgrade that first if the fix below doesn't solve your problem and see if you need a new gpu. When I last played csgo to win I was using a fury x with a 6 core ivy bridge using ddr3 and getting about 190fps to 240fps as far as 280-320.

if you are not worried about security as much as you are fps spectre/meltdown fix. this fix hobbles your cpi

in cs go it got me 30% more fps

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

I've done this on as many systems as I can remember.

You will see a big and noticeable jump.

For upgrade 3060ti/3070 or 6600/6600xt/6700/6700xt or the xx50 variants

if you are looking at used cards, 1080 or 1080ti are nice options, people that had those cards were likely gaming on them and they were well taken care of.
I enjoyed the 1070ti I had it was immaculate when I bought it used.

I get the feeling fixing your ram+ inspectre disabled will do a great deal for you to the point you might find the upgrade to be redundant for your needs anyway..
The inspectre thing didn't give me any more fps. But thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking to buy a barely used RTX 2060. Or should I buy a GTX 1080? What would you suggest? They are both about the same price where I'm looking.

Yes I get around 500 points on the single thread performance test. The average fps doesn't change that much. But in areas with a lot of smokes I definitely get more fps. I used the fps benchmark workshop by ulletical. When my character goes through the smokes the fps drops to about 70 fps. If I lower my res from 1600x900 to 1280x720, It only drops to a minimum of 110. So I get atleast 40 fps more by lowering my res.
play at 1080 it actually gives you more to shoot at. You can hit a smaller area, it might not kill but 10% damage vs none is an acceptable hit.

Aug 20, 2022
I don't think it will help. I have same cpu as you with rtx 2060 super. Cs go can still lags with ammount of smokes (I am playing on 800x600 res).
There are 2 possibilities. It is problem with our cpu (which I don't believe come on this cpu can easly handle with witcher 3).
And for 90% it is cs go problem. If you will watch pro players streams with best components they can drop due to a lot of smoks ammount even to 100 fps. I saw this on TenZ stream his specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X.
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080.

I suspect you are relatively well balanced. cpu vs.gpu.
The GTX1080 and RTX2060 are generally comparable performers.
An upgrade to either would be ok.

Dual channel ram will help cpu performance.
But, by how much I can't say. Definitely good for integrated graphics, but otherwise, think perhaps 2%.
Adding another 16gb is not guaranteed to work; you take your chances there. If the ram is cheap enough and you can easily return it, I would give it a shot.
Extra ram never hurts, particularly if you will be multitasking while gaming.
Multiplayer has few performance benchmark tests. Mainly because of how difficult it is to control. Still, with many players, there could be some impact by the quantity of ram.

Do you have a budget?
In the USA, $230 will buy you a considerably stronger i3-12100 and a B660 motherboard new. You could reuse your ram.

Lastly, I suspect you might gain from browsing the CSGO forums for settings and such.

if inspectre did nothing, that only applies to your current gpu, you just freed up a lot of cpu power for gaming.

Are you completely sure you did it correctly? I figured you would get some frames.
Anyway good luck and there is nothing about your cpu that needs to be replaced for csgo.

AMD 6600 or better should put you up.

May 28, 2022
The average fps didn't change, but I get 50 fps more in the "demending" situations. I don't know if that was worth it. But all around I have a better GPU and I'm happy with that.
I feel like you could just make some in game command changes and get an extra 10 fps. Have you tried that?

I really wish they would bring back cl_minmodels 1