[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade for Oculus Rift S

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster.

First off, here's what I'm working with:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 970 Gaming
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS8G3D1609DS1S00. 1x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97 PC Mate
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2

I just got the Oculus Rift S! It's pretty awesome, but I noticed last night that I was maxing out my RAM and the VRAM in my GPU.

I had already anticipated the RAM issue and ordered a pair of 8GB Patriot Viper III sticks of RAM. (16 GB DDR3 1866MHz (PC3 15000) CL10, PV316G186C0K). I know this isn't the BEST RAM you can buy, but it was affordable and an upgrade, and I'm on a budget.

Not that it will affect this much, but I am also planning to harvest my Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD from an older laptop of mine and putting it into my rig.

I didn't anticipate GPU issues, but I was maxing out my faithful 'ol GTX 970. I've loved my GTX 970. I am not interested in 4K, or really even anything higher than 1080p at the moment (don't even have any displays that can support it), but I do want my Rift S to run smoothly.

In the 970's defense, it ran things alright, and I was able to have a passable experience, but I did notice some weird effects (window" de-sync" from the visor was the big one).

Like I mentioned above, I am on a budget. But if I am going to upgrade, I want it to be a noticeable improvement. I would be willing to spend up to around $350 but I'd love to stay closer to $200.

I've been eyeing the GTX 1660, but I thought some of you may have some better recommendations that I'll be happy with while sticking to a budget.

TL;DR
I want to upgrade my GPU to make a smoother Oculus Rift S experience. I've got a GTX 970. I would like to spend between $200 and $350, but I'd rather stay on the lower end of that (on a budget). I'm not interested in anything higher than 1080p for my standard displays.

Last edited:
For a great experience the Oculus Rift S requires atleast 80 fps(because of the 80 Hz panel refresh rate) at its resolution which is 2560x1440.
Now, for that target you'll need something beefier. A 1660 ti won't cut it in my opinion.
I'd rather look for something in the realm of the RX 5700 XT and RTX 2070 Super for a smooth VR experience.

Just a blind guess.... are you preparing for half life alyx? I'm eyeing for an Oculus Rift S myself.

Reactions: L0N3STARR