GPU Upgrade for older system. Which one to choose?

larsen1864

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Hello there,

I'm going to take the old PC (FX 6300, 16GB RAM) of my mate, but I want to switch the graphics card (my old HD 7790). I could get my hands on several used ones:

1) HD 7950 3GB for 90$
2) Geforce GTX 670 OC 2GB for 100$
3) Geforce GTX 680 OC 2GB for 125$
4) Radeon R9 280X 3GB for 150$

*(as reference a new Geforce 1050ti 4GB costs about 170€/210$)

**(the prices here in Germany for used computer parts may widely differ from the ones you have in anglophone countries, so I converted Euro in Dollar)

Since I don't want to spend too much money to upgrade this old chap, I'm seriously considering one of the cards above. The margin above would easily allow me to buy a additional SSD drive just for comfort.

What's your opinion?

Solution
Interesting challenge. I would place all of these cards in the same class. That's good news, because it means you can't really make a bad choice. Dollar for dollar, I like the GTX 670. Only having 2GB of VRAM is a small concern, but the FX 6300 CPU will constrain you to B-titles anyway.

neiler0847

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Interesting challenge. I would place all of these cards in the same class. That's good news, because it means you can't really make a bad choice. Dollar for dollar, I like the GTX 670. Only having 2GB of VRAM is a small concern, but the FX 6300 CPU will constrain you to B-titles anyway.

Solution
I'd opt for one of the AMD cards, just for the extra memory, performance is broadly the same for all 4 cards, but probably the GTX680 would just come out on top.

Do bear in mind AMD cards of that age MUST have a good cooler, and be in a case with good airflow, exactly which cards do you have in mind?