[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade for stability work on adobe suite (Premiere, after,) and GPU accelerated FX. Is Quadro GPU a good option?

dbassist94

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018
Hi!

I'm desperated to make my workstation as stable as possible when working on video production (adobe suite, davinci resolve), I'm tired of gpu problems.

Since we cant live without the acceleration of the GPU, and even though we all know an upgrade in the CPU is better spent money, I wonder if a Quadro GPU (despite their price) could solve this problem.

My built has:
Intel i7- 7800x
MoBo: MSI thomahawk x299
Gpu: Gtx 1060 3gb
Ram 32 at 3200 mhz
Programs in SSD
Files and projects in SSD nmve
Cache in external hdd
PSU vulcano MPVU750

My first go to upgrade would be to change the CPU to an I9-10940x, but since my very complain is stability more than speed, would it be better for a performance enhancemenet (meaning by performance both working speed and stability) to change my GPU??

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Solution
Many many thanks!!

The RTX 3060 was my go to until 2021, when I realiced it was going to be very difficult to get.
So I think I have two options now: be patient and wait for the rtx 3060 (at a reasonable price) or look for an equivalent. Thats why I ended thinking about the quadro ones, but yeah, the price really hurts.

Is there any info that could help me decide? Maybe by the time RTX3060 get to the shops the price would have incresed at a point that a quadro may not be that expensive?

I jus suffer from gpu stability problems every single day and I'm starting to get really pissed off :(
When the 3060 will be in stock, it's price would be down.
You can buy a 3060 on ebay for just as much as a quadro. They are almost 3 times...
A cpu upgrade won't hurt stability.

I think the reason you are running into stability problems is actually the gpu, but not because it is not quadro, but because it only has 3 gigs of ram.
If you work with large 1080p or any 4k video, davinci would probably not handle it.

Quadros do have more ram than geforce, but, geforce has actually over the last 3-4 years been getting more and more ram.

The most sensible upgrade for you would be a RTX 3060 (non Ti. for some reason the non Ti has more Vram, 12Gb compared to 8Gb on the faster 3060 Ti.)
Sadly, that card is unobtainium and even if you find one, it will cost an arm and a leg.
MSRP is 329$.

Reactions: dbassist94

dbassist94

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018
A cpu upgrade won't hurt stability.

I think the reason you are running into stability problems is actually the gpu, but not because it is not quadro, but because it only has 3 gigs of ram.
If you work with large 1080p or any 4k video, davinci would probably not handle it.

Quadros do have more ram than geforce, but, geforce has actually over the last 3-4 years been getting more and more ram.

The most sensible upgrade for you would be a RTX 3060 (non Ti. for some reason the non Ti has more Vram, 12Gb compared to 8Gb on the faster 3060 Ti.)
Sadly, that card is unobtainium and even if you find one, it will cost an arm and a leg.
MSRP is 329$.

Many many thanks!!

The RTX 3060 was my go to until 2021, when I realiced it was going to be very difficult to get.
So I think I have two options now: be patient and wait for the rtx 3060 (at a reasonable price) or look for an equivalent. Thats why I ended thinking about the quadro ones, but yeah, the price really hurts.

Is there any info that could help me decide? Maybe by the time RTX3060 get to the shops the price would have incresed at a point that a quadro may not be that expensive?

I jus suffer from gpu stability problems every single day and I'm starting to get really pissed off :(

Many many thanks!!

You can buy a 3060 on ebay for just as much as a quadro. They are almost 3 times as expensive as MSRP there. Pricing is bonkers and there's nothing we can do about it.

The reason I would still recommend that instead of a quadro (say, if they were at the same price) is because to my knowledge, Nvidia has not released new quadros.
All the Quadros are last gen, making them more expensive for their speed.

The 3060 shortage might have made that a little more in line, but the 3060 is also 2 years newer, and will get updates for longer and is also going to be better at say, deep learning and RTX than any quadro.

You should try to get your hands on a 3060 in my opinion, do your best to get it from a local shop, buying it as they get stock.
Usually you can call the store and tell them to order one for you, and it might take a while, but you would get a card at MSRP.

Reactions: dbassist94
Solution

dbassist94

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018
You can buy a 3060 on ebay for just as much as a quadro. They are almost 3 times as expensive as MSRP there. Pricing is bonkers and there's nothing we can do about it.

The reason I would still recommend that instead of a quadro (say, if they were at the same price) is because to my knowledge, Nvidia has not released new quadros.
All the Quadros are last gen, making them more expensive for their speed.

The 3060 shortage might have made that a little more in line, but the 3060 is also 2 years newer, and will get updates for longer and is also going to be better at say, deep learning and RTX than any quadro.

You should try to get your hands on a 3060 in my opinion, do your best to get it from a local shop, buying it as they get stock.
Usually you can call the store and tell them to order one for you, and it might take a while, but you would get a card at MSRP.
That would be the wise move, for sure! Then I need to be patience and aware of any nvidia manufacturers move.
Many thanks for your time and words, I really needed to clear all this matter :D