Question GPU upgrade from gtx 1050ti

gangsterberzs

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
Hello everyone!
So the title explains it pretty much, I've been wanting to finally upgrade the last part that's been slowing down my pc. It is my gigabyte gtx 1050ti, paired with my newly built pc 2 years ago. The specs are as follows:

Fractal Design Meshify C
Gigabyte X570 aorus elite
Ryzen 5 3600
16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
Corsair TX-750M

The 1050ti has been treating me wonderfully, even when I upgraded to a 2560x1080 ultrawide, but it did make some games unplayable. Which made me realize I needed to upgrade.
I've already been looking for quite a while for a new GPU, but all the GPU shortages and bitcoin mining put a stop to that however, now the search has resumed. I have already picked out 2 possible candidates.
Either an RTX 3060 TI or a 3070.
Now I have enough knowledge to decide myself, but I've been running into "roadblocks" for example I can't decide between the 2 cards. The cheapest RTX 3060ti I've seen is 509€ however, the cheapest RTX 3070 is 634€ which is 125€ more. The 3060ti is a Zotac Twin Edge LHR, I watched a youtube video comparing multiple cards and the author rated the Zotac card as a bad option. However, the cheapest 3070 is the Gigabyte vision LHR which is a 3-fan card and I'm slightly worried it wouldn't fit in my case and of course GPU sag. I can pay 5€ more for a 2-fan card, but It's the same Zotac Twin Edge edition. The video's author recommended the Asus TUF edition lineup. But the prices are higher, RTX 3060ti is 604€ and 3070 680€. However again Asus TUF lineup is 3 fan cards. I am planning to use the GPU in the long run, with a possible monitor upgrade to 2560x1440 144hz coming. I'm confused.
My request is simple, I would like to hear you're thoughts on this, and what would you decide to do?
I am also open to recommendations.

Last edited:
If you are going to stay at 1080p then the 3060ti is the best bet. The 3070 is only going to give you about 7% more fps than the 3060ti which works out to 3-10 more fps depending on the game. That isn't much more performance for 150. If you go to 1440p you are going to need a bit stronger gpu like the 3070 to give you better framerates and you can squeak out about 5% more with overclocking.

gangsterberzs

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
If you are going to stay at 1080p then the 3060ti is the best bet. The 3070 is only going to give you about 7% more fps than the 3060ti which works out to 3-10 more fps depending on the game. That isn't much more performance for 150. If you go to 1440p you are going to need a bit stronger gpu like the 3070 to give you better framerates and you can squeak out about 5% more with overclocking.
Thanks for the reply! What about specific manufacturers? Does it really matter if I choose let's say a Palit card instead of an Asus one?

If they have a good warranty period that is all I worry about when my choices are slim to none. Of course, you mentioned it may not fit in your case that is a thing to consider. But all gpu's have the base gpu, it is just the bells and whistles they add that make any difference. I just buy a base card and overclock it to match any other expensive card they overcharge for because "they" overclocked it. I don't buy in to the brand snobbery that others do. If it works, and it has a warranty, and it is priced right it's for me. I may be luckier than others, but I have been buying gpu's for over 20 years and have only had to return 1 gpu under warranty.

TRENDING THREADS