[SOLVED] GPU upgrade from MSI GTX 1060 6 Gb OC

Blazhun

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
Hi all,
My question is what upgrade would you recommend from my current GPU (1060 6 Gb)? I've just bought a 2k 144 hz FreeSync compatible monitor and I'm thinking about switching to AMD. I've thought about purchasing one of their upcoming products but my main concern is that where I live (Hungary) most newer GPU-s tend to have 100+ USD on their price so I think the next-gen cards are kinda out of my reach (for example right now due to RTX 3080 shortage they go for around 1400 USD and I've seen RTX 3090s go for 3200 USD). My main two options are either RTX 2070s for around 600-650 USD or an RX 5700 XT for 500 USD. I've seen a few benchmarks and I'm leaning towards AMD because of FreeSync support and more favorable pricing. I'm most likely going to wait for AMDs reveal and the RTX 3070 though hoping that they'll have a bigger stock at launch and more resonable pricing. But out of the two mentioned first which one would you recommend? I'm aiming for mid-high settings 2k gaming at around 80-100 fps, and maxed 1080p same numbers. My other components are Ryzen 5 3600x, 16 GBs G.Skill TridentZ 3600 Mhz RAM, 650W CoolerMasterPSU. Thanks for the answers in advance!

Solution
A couple of things.

First, wait until atleast the 3070 release (and big navi release)
should be a couple of days from now, and stock of the 307 should be "not as horrible" hopefully.

I would not buy the 2070s. If I were you i'd wait for the cards to be come available and get them when they are.

one more thing, Nvidia supports freesync.
A couple of things.

should be a couple of days from now, and stock of the 307 should be "not as horrible" hopefully.

I would not buy the 2070s. If I were you i'd wait for the cards to be come available and get them when they are.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
A couple of things.

Yes do not buy the 2070 Super. I'm having a huge buyer's remorse after buying it in July out of low patience and no belief in the GPU industry. And it's not suitable for 1440p 144 no matter what anyone says. It's a 1080p 144hz card however if you're just gonna be mid-high 2k it should work fine. That being said, only if it's $400 or below UNUSED. Otherwise trash deal

Yes do not buy the 2070 Super. I'm having a huge buyer's remorse after buying it in July out of low patience and no belief in the GPU industry. And it's not suitable for 1440p 144 no matter what anyone says. It's a 1080p 144hz card however if you're just gonna be mid-high 2k it should work fine. That being said, only if it's $400 or below UNUSED. Otherwise trash deal
The 2070 super is definetly a 1440p 144hz card.
medium-high settings that is, in modernish AAA games.

Blazhun

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
I'll just sit around and wait for both 3070 benchmarks and AMD RDNA2 release. As I said there is no chance that I'd get a good deal on either of those cards (just for reference right now the cheapest RTX 2070S starts at approx. 560 USD new.). This being said I'd rather buy a 3070 for around 820 USD which is the cheapest one here in Hungary. I'm hoping the AMD GPUs gonna cut under the Nvidia ones in price. Another concern of mine is that my AIO tube is quite short and probably wont fit over broader cards as I can only front mount the rad because I'm building in a mid-ATX tower (top mount won't fit because of the RAM). If that would be the case I'd probably ditch the AIO as it was only around 80 USD. Also cards on the longer side like 280+ mm won't fit either. Right now the only RTX 3070 that would fit no probs is the Gigabyte one.