Question GPU upgrade going to help or not?

bskeef

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Trying to figure out before I spend the money on a new GPU if it will be worth the money or not. Replacing the GPU in my Dell 8700 ? I ran a test on it and everything came back above average except the GPU which a NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 that's all the specs tell me it's the NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, don't say PCIe x 8 or x16 ... I haven't opened the case yet, Question is If I can upgrade it to a higher end GPU will I benefit any or is there going to be a motherboard issue that I wouldn't get any better end results? Any ideas which cards would be a good upgrade would really help! I don't mind having to upgrade my PSU just want to know if I'm going to get better preforming Graphics with a new card? (trying to get a few more years out of this 5-year-old desktop!)

Thanks
Bill

Best case would try to go for something like a GTX 1050 Ti. That will draw power form your motherboard and will most likely fit in your cramped case (though I'd confirm this yourself by physically measuring the length of available space for a GPU. It will definitely increase your gaming performance if that's what you want, as for overall speed, you'll need better... everything else.

Trying to figure out before I spend the money on a new GPU if it will be worth the money or not. Replacing the GPU in my Dell 8700 ? I ran a test on it and everything came back above average except the GPU which a NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 that's all the specs tell me it's the NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, don't say PCIe x 8 or x16 ... I haven't opened the case yet, Question is If I can upgrade it to a higher end GPU will I benefit any or is there going to be a motherboard issue that I wouldn't get any better end results? Any ideas which cards would be a good upgrade would really help! I don't mind having to upgrade my PSU just want to know if I'm going to get better preforming Graphics with a new card? (trying to get a few more years out of this 5-year-old desktop!)

Thanks
Bill
It's not a good time to shop for a gpu......big mark ups in price.
Shop around for a gtx 750 ti see if it fits your budget.
Measure around the pcie slot to make sure it will fit.
Nice bump in perf but not for high end gaming.