[SOLVED] gpu upgrade guid

Hossein taheri

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Hi guys,
I plan to upgrade my Gpu, I am not a rich guy I can upgrade my pc once in 5 years, current rig:
cpu: i9 9900k
ram: 32 gb 3200mhz cl16
gpu: gtx 1080 ti FE
mainboard: msi z390 tomahawk
psu: 7 years old 1200 watt psu has (3 8-pin connectors)
if I want to upgrade now I will go with something like 3070 ti range but, I heard many rumors about next gen gpus will be much better than current gen
but I am afraid about something like pci-e gen 3 may wont suffice for ada lovelace or rdna3 or gpu prices go crazy again , any advice ?

Solution
There is always something better on the horizon.
Normally, I would say if you have a need now, upgrade now and don't worry about future things.

But...
Graphics card prices are in flux and are likely to go lower when Intel enters the market soon.
If you can wait a bit, do so.

I would not worry about pcie3/4/5...
Parts will be both forward and backwards compatible.

It is only among the very top cards that there is any significant performance
impact.
Think 2%
There are some exceptions in a couple of older AMD cards.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
x16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 is 15.75GB/s
x16 lanes of PCIe 4.0 is 31.5GB/s

Nvidia is planning for PCIe 4.0 for Ada, even though Intel and AMD will have PCIe 5.0 capable boards on the market.

Here is a good example of 3.0 vs 4.0 with a 3080:

Unless Nvidia somehow manages to double the bandwidth a GPU needs in a single generation, doesn't seem like it will be a problem. Also they are sticking with GDDR6X it seems, and even starting at the currently available 21,000 speed with the same 384 bit bus size on the high end cards. So there won't be a marked increase in bandwidth internal to the cards.

Hossein taheri

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
x16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 is 15.75GB/s
x16 lanes of PCIe 4.0 is 31.5GB/s

Nvidia is planning for PCIe 4.0 for Ada, even though Intel and AMD will have PCIe 5.0 capable boards on the market.

Here is a good example of 3.0 vs 4.0 with a 3080:

Unless Nvidia somehow manages to double the bandwidth a GPU needs in a single generation, doesn't seem like it will be a problem. Also they are sticking with GDDR6X it seems, and even starting at the currently available 21,000 speed with the same 384 bit bus size on the high end cards. So there won't be a marked increase in bandwidth internal to the cards.
thanks, so I will wait

Normally, I would say if you have a need now, upgrade now and don't worry about future things.

But...
Graphics card prices are in flux and are likely to go lower when Intel enters the market soon.

impact.
Think 2%

Solution

Hossein taheri

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

But...

impact.
Think 2%
Thanks dude, my idea was to wait for next generation cards but I was worried about incompatibility issues and according to the answers it will not be a problem.

Hossein taheri

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
You GPU is still very powerful, it has the equivalent performance of a RTX 2070 Super.
I need a gpu capable of keeping the fps above 100 in most games at 1080p max settings, since I used 240hz monitor , I think anything below 100 fps is slow, I currently own a 240hz 1080p monitor, maybe I consider to upgrade to 1440 by 2560 144hz +, so yes the gpu is still holding up, but the games are getting more and more demanding as well. I need to lower the graphic settings to get decent gameplay the one thing that I really don't want