[SOLVED] GPU upgrade help on a 7y/o pc build

Nov 30, 2020
Hello, I've bought RX 580 8gb as an upgrade over my radeon HD 6570

Found out a big problem which i should've done more research before buying.
The gpu requires 8 pin PCI-E and a reccommended 500W PSU while i have a really old 480W PSU which doesn't have any PCI-E cables.
I bought a dual molex to 8 pin connector for it but i'm very well aware that it might melt or causes PSU to pop which is why i'm posting this thread before trying them out.

I'm planning to buy a new PSU next month, nothing else. But i'm just wondering if it's safe to use with my current one for a month?

my PC :
Motherboard : ASRock (not sure what type)
CPU : Intel Core i5-3330 3.00GHz
RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3
(Current) GPU : AMD Radeon HD 6570
PSU : Power Up 480W

Any advices and suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!

Solution
NO!!
If a 480w psu does not have even a single 6 pin connector, it does not have the amps to drive 8 pin needs.
Older power supplies delivered amps on the 3.3v lines, not 12v where modern processors and graphics cards need them.
Remember that if an old or cheap power supply gets overloaded and fails, it can destroy all it is connected to.

Have patience and wait until you get a new psu.
Consider a quality power supply as a long term investment.
It may last you 10 years and through a number of upgrades.
Do not buy a budget replacement.
Hold out for a tier 1/2 unit, no less than 3 from a quality list such as this:

Hello, I've bought RX 580 8gb as an upgrade over my radeon HD 6570

Found out a big problem which i should've done more research before buying.
The gpu requires 8 pin PCI-E and a reccommended 500W PSU while i have a really old 480W PSU which doesn't have any PCI-E cables.
I bought a dual molex to 8 pin connector for it but i'm very well aware that it might melt or causes PSU to pop which is why i'm posting this thread before trying them out.

I'm planning to buy a new PSU next month, nothing else. But i'm just wondering if it's safe to use with my current one for a month?

my PC :
Motherboard : ASRock (not sure what type)
CPU : Intel Core i5-3330 3.00GHz
RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3
(Current) GPU : AMD Radeon HD 6570
PSU : Power Up 480W

Any advices and suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!
Hello there!!
Is it safe??? Probably no and the probability of it being a problematic becomes more if that's the same 7year old psu and connecting now through a molex..... So yes you are taking a wise decision by changing it it would be wiser to change it before a month if possible.

Reactions: maximusclipus
NO!!
If a 480w psu does not have even a single 6 pin connector, it does not have the amps to drive 8 pin needs.
Older power supplies delivered amps on the 3.3v lines, not 12v where modern processors and graphics cards need them.
Remember that if an old or cheap power supply gets overloaded and fails, it can destroy all it is connected to.

Have patience and wait until you get a new psu.
Consider a quality power supply as a long term investment.
It may last you 10 years and through a number of upgrades.
Do not buy a budget replacement.
Hold out for a tier 1/2 unit, no less than 3 from a quality list such as this:

Reactions: maximusclipus
Solution
Nov 30, 2020
Thank you so much for the help and suggestions!
Giving an update that i've finally put my new Corsair CV650 since 2 days ago, and it's running perfectly fine with no issues so far!