GPU Upgrade help

Solidus_ty

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Hey guys!
So I'm in the process of looking at a new GPU the only downfall is I'm on a specific budget and also a time crunch... My current 6850HD is on its last legs. So I'm thinking I'll need a new one soon. Plus I just want an upgrade cause as most of you know that card isn't the best for this next gen game line up.
I was really wanting the gtx 970 strix, but they still haven't come into stock and idk how much longer I can wait. I was looking at the r9 285 strix, I just don't like its only 2GB of GDDR5 seems a little small. Then i looked at the 280x but a lot of people have complained about how unstable the cards are.

I'm super lost and really don't know what to get... Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My specs.
Windows 7
Biostar 990fx motherboard
Phenom II X4 965 (I have a watercooler just haven't over clocked yet)
8GB GSkillz Ripjaws
650w ocz modstream pro
In a corsair c70 vengance

Solution
Depends on the games you plan on playing, but even with slightly lowered settings you should be fine with most games... as long as the developers aren't doing a bad console port (*cough*Bethesda*cough*)

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Unless you're looking at a multi-monitor and/or 4K display, then 2GB of VRAM should be fine on a new card, especially since that will double what your 6850 has. In your case, an R9 270 (or even 270X) would be more than enough GPU power. If you really need more VRAM, but aren't sold on the 280 series, just bump up to the R9 290 (4GB).