[SOLVED] GPU UPGRADE HELP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 21, 2020
As of right now i’m currently running an AMD FX 6300 six core processor, RX 560 2gb, and 8gb ddr3 ram and i believe my motherboard is a Socket AM3+ (942) it says, i’m not %100 sure what my power supply is but i believe it’s just a 450watt, my computer is just a basic cyber power pre built

basically what i’m getting at is that i want to upgrade my gpu, i want to get a RX 580 8gb or maybe the RX 580 OEM 4gb from amazon.... i don’t want to mess anything up and i’ve been doing a lot of research and there’s just been confusing things that i don’t understand, would i be able to get the rx 580 and be straight ? i have a 6+2 pin pcie and i think the 580 is 8 pin so that would work right? but would my computer just bottleneck due to my cpu or would it be fine? that’s what i heard but i never know, or would i HAVE to upgrade my cpu as well and would i even be able to on my motherboard? it’s all very confusing to me and any help would be very very appreciated

Solution
Actually the 570 would be a bigger upgrade than you probably think. I think it's only about 10% behind the 580.

Being realistic though. The fx 6300 is VERY long in the tooth at this point. You really need to be thinking cpu/board/ram. Also the power supply probably needs changed as well before a gpu upgrade.

But as far as the gtx 1660, I'm just saying that the 1660 super is only about 3-5% behind the 1660 ti, but runs about 30 dollars more than the standard 1660. In my mind if you're spending 200, spend the extra 30 and get the super.

I've actually got a 580 now, but my 1660 super is somewhere in the UPS system on the way from Newegg. So will probably pop the 580 on eBay for around 100 or best offer.
If you have photos that is fine. There is also the old school method of using the larger 4 pin molex connector if it has one of those.

A lot of guys get into fan controllers out controlling fans from motherboard. I'm not that guy. I usually run all my fans as the molex type connectors. I figure then they run full speed which is what I want anyway. The only fans I probably worry if are loud or not are the CPU and GPU. Unless one of the other fans are incredibly loud, as long as they move air and cool my system.

Jan 21, 2020
If you have photos that is fine. There is also the old school method of using the larger 4 pin molex connector if it has one of those.

A lot of guys get into fan controllers out controlling fans from motherboard. I'm not that guy. I usually run all my fans as the molex type connectors. I figure then they run full speed which is what I want anyway. The only fans I probably worry if are loud or not are the CPU and GPU. Unless one of the other fans are incredibly loud, as long as they move air and cool my system.

alright, when i’m home from school i’m gonna link a picture of what i’m talking about and what you think since i can’t really explain it

what do you think about the mobo/cpu i picked ? and i’m confused on the Mhz you guys were talking about, could you link me the best affordable mobo/ram/cpu? i honestly just kinda clicked random ones and i feel like you guys will be better at selecting things that will work the best, i’m possibly gonna slap a 1650 super into my system when i get all this new stuff

Should have gotten back to you earlier. You definitely will want 2x8 so you get dual channel. They have a support list, it seems like i was on newegg and having a hard time finding a specific kit that was on their support list. Which basically means they tested it. But for the most part it will work. I would recommend you get ddr4 3200 or higher. 3200-3600 seems to be where guys go.

I'm running Crucial ballistix ddr4 3000 2 x 8gb.

I'd probably look at this.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232767

I don't think it's on the support list, but just because it's not, doesn't mean it won't work, just means probably that they didn't test that specific kit. More than liekly it would run great. I will let some other guys check in.

Jan 21, 2020
Should have gotten back to you earlier. You definitely will want 2x8 so you get dual channel. They have a support list, it seems like i was on newegg and having a hard time finding a specific kit that was on their support list. Which basically means they tested it. But for the most part it will work. I would recommend you get ddr4 3200 or higher. 3200-3600 seems to be where guys go.

I'm running Crucial ballistix ddr4 3000 2 x 8gb.

I'd probably look at this.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232767

I don't think it's on the support list, but just because it's not, doesn't mean it won't work, just means probably that they didn't test that specific kit. More than liekly it would run great. I will let some other guys check in.

do i have to buy windows again ? or how will that work? sorry not that bright

If you have what is called a retail version of Windows 10, then you are allowed to move that. If you have an oem version, then you aren't supposed to. But that said, folks seem to be able to do it and it works. The big thing is that you want to be certain that you are only using it on one computer at a time.

So once you set up your new computer, you aren't allowed to use Windows 10 on your other computer anymore if it's the same license key. If you search on the forum there are many discussions about that topic.