Question GPU Upgrade? Is it worth it?

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Hello People of Toms Hardware,

I recently built a new computer (spec in the PC Part picker link below) all of the parts I bought were new except for the GPU which I took from my old build. My first PC was a pre-built from MicroCenter and it came with the MSI GTX 1070 Aero OC which is a solid card but I wanted to know if I should upgrade in my current set up or wait for the next line of cards.

I typically play R6 Seige, Fortnite and Apex with friends but I will be getting Division 2 and have been playing Witcher 3 a lot more recently. As you can see in my picker list I have (2) Asus VG248QE monitors so the max resolution i get is at 1080p and 144hz. Now with this set up would it be worth it to upgrade from this GPU? As a side note, I'm not too big of a fan (no pun intended) of the blower style fan my current GPU has because I think it may lead to higher temps.

Please let me know what you guys think because I would really like to have someone take a look at my set up and let me know. Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXBPpG

Your build is pretty solid as it is. You could go up on your graphics card, but it isn't really necessary. If you wanted to you could easily go up to the 2080Ti or even the RTX Titan, but those are pretty pricey. The most price effective upgrade as far as video cards go are still the last generation cards. The 1080 or 1080Ti offer better performance at a more reasonable price than their replacement RTX cards, from the RTX line the 2060 is more of a side-grade with the only addition being the new features and little actual performance gain. The RTX 2070 would be an upgrade, but only to GTX 1080 levels of performance, and so on up the stack with the 1080Ti being comparable to the RTX 2080 and the RTX 2080Ti being the best gaming specific card you could get. Honestly it all comes down to if you want to spend a lot of money or not. The GTX 1070 is no slouch as it is and will be a great performer for a while yet.

It if were me, I'd hold off until the prices come down or the next generation of cards come out.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks Everyone! I was thinking about staying put but I've been eyeing the used market place on Ebay for Asus ROG Strix 1080 and If I could get one for about $350, should I do it?

Thanks Everyone! I was thinking about staying put but I've been eyeing the used market place on Ebay for Asus ROG Strix 1080 and If I could get one for about $350, should I do it?
If you are willing to spend the money, $350 is a darn good price for a card with that kind of power. If you can flip your 1070 for a reasonable amount ($250-$300) it'd be a reasonable value as well.

dommer_

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
If you are willing to spend the money, $350 is a darn good price for a card with that kind of power. If you can flip your 1070 for a reasonable amount ($250-$300) it'd be a reasonable value as well.

That's what I was thinking. I believe I can get one for about $315 but I have to drive to Boston which to me is about a 4.5 hr drive round trip. If I were to buy a new GPU then I can put the 1070 in my old build and sell it as a complete build.

Edit: I will probably just stay put unless I have an issue selling my old PC (whether all together or by piece) without the GPU. If that happens then I may need to get a new GPU so I can sell a full PC.

Last edited: