Aug 30, 2016
I'm about to upgrade the GPU of my 5 y.o PC, and my current specs are:

CPU: I5-3570
MOBO: Sabertooth Z77
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5500 Series
RAM: DDR3 4gb 1333
PSU: Extreme 2 525
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431

and I plan to buy this GPU, also upgrading my RAM to DDR3 8gb 1600mhz.
GPU: ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB 9GBPS X3 V2 (Tri-fan | 8-Pin)

Will it fit to my Chasis and can my PSU handle this GPU ?

T.I.A.

Solution
2. Your Cooler Master Extreme 2 525 PSU is trustworthy and has enough power to go around, but it is also old. Upgrade it soon
How can you say this?
Not the exact same model but speaks of the quality.
Only review I find is https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-2-475-w-power-supply-review/11/

"In summary, we must recommend that you stay away from this power supply."

This equates to garbage in my book. And it is more than 6 years old.
1.. Your Chassis is big enough for the card.

2. Your Cooler Master Extreme 2 525 PSU is trustworthy and has enough power to go around, but it is also old. Upgrade it soon.

3. Your Intel core i5-3570 is powerful enough for a 60 FPS build, despite it's age. It will do poorly in games that are optimized for more cores, but it is more than enough for the majority of games. An upgrade to an Intel Core i7-3770K on your overclockable board could increase longevity and reduce bottlenecks from your processor if you overclocked it.

4. Your memory is completely inadequate. You should upgrade to more and better memory. Corsair Vengeance Pro is a good way to go, and overclocks well. It's best to get at least 8 GB, but 16 GB and 32 GB are viable options on your motherboard as well. Just make sure to get it in sets of 2, your memory is dual channel and will operate better with this configuration.

Reactions: KKTadena

KKTadena

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
wattage wise you are good, had the PSU been a quality one which it is not. Get a new one and more ram. And perhaps consider moving on to a newer platform.
I've used the PC for 2 years+ and been stocked until this month since it has a faulty hdd.

I considered selling this PC too and rebuild a new one but my budget wont make it right now.
Thanks! I think I'll give it a shot, hopefully the tri-fan will fit fine in the case.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
2. Your Cooler Master Extreme 2 525 PSU is trustworthy and has enough power to go around, but it is also old. Upgrade it soon
How can you say this?
Only review I find is https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-2-475-w-power-supply-review/11/

Reactions: KKTadena
Solution

KKTadena

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
1.. Your Chassis is big enough for the card.

2. Your Cooler Master Extreme 2 525 PSU is trustworthy and has enough power to go around, but it is also old. Upgrade it soon.

3. Your Intel core i5-3570 is powerful enough for a 60 FPS build, despite it's age. It will do poorly in games that are optimized for more cores, but it is more than enough for the majority of games. An upgrade to an Intel Core i7-3770K on your overclockable board could increase longevity and reduce bottlenecks from your processor if you overclocked it.

4. Your memory is completely inadequate. You should upgrade to more and better memory. Corsair Vengeance Pro is a good way to go, and overclocks well. It's best to get at least 8 GB, but 16 GB and 32 GB are viable options on your motherboard as well. Just make sure to get it in sets of 2, your memory is dual channel and will operate better with this configuration.
Thanks for the great advance mate. Others said that the psu 525 is just model if any case that the psu max voltage is 408w as written on the side of it will this still be able to power up the system unit?

KKTadena

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
How can you say this?

I've noticed this one too, with the 408w labeled to the psu is that enough to power up the system unit with the ichill gtx 1060 ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Trustworthy? That PSU is trash, and its old. Its not a "upgrade soon" its a "replace now"

OP I agree though with 4gb of ram you will be handicapping your gaming. The platform you're on is a bit old but still has some value, and can still play most games today. Persnally I'm not a huge fan of investing in an older platform if you can afford an upgrade but thats up to your budget.

Your choices are the GTX 1060, a new PSU (which you need anyway with a new build) and 4gb more ram (which a new build won't accept as its DDR3). So that new Ram is kind of sunk money if you decide to do a full upgrade in the short term.

Or check out what your finances may look like and consider replacing the motherboard cpu and memory as well. You need a PSU either way.