GPU upgrade of HP Slimline S3448

shabba_91

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Dear Community experts,

I have an HP Slimline S3448HK and was wondering whether there is any feasible GPU upgrade for this machine.

The current GPU is a Nvidia Geforce 8400 which is suitable for my normal daily use of Ms Office, etc but pretty much abysmal for current or even games from 2009/10.

From reading some previous post, I believe my limitations is the PSU which is 180W and the slimline case. This seems to suggest that my option is a low profile and wattage card.

I look forward to your informed suggestions. Below is the url providing the specification of my machine.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01403271&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c01403271/loc:2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3707484

Many thanks in advance.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Read the manual. It says:

IMPORTANT: Due to the small computer size, you can only install a small, low-profile
PCI-E card of the same approximate size of the graphics card. HP recommends that you
install a card with power consumption of 25 watts or less.
Not all low-profile cards will fit into the PCI-E slot. Some external connectors, especially
connectors located at the top of the card, may not fit properly into the back panel.

You are limited to the length of the card too.

Only 25W huh o_O? Forget about that 5570 then. It has something like a 45W TDP, but when stressed with furmark (which is unrealistic for games) it pulls like 60W. Looks like you can't do any meaningful upgrade without replacing that PSU, which you may not be able to do.

shabba_91

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks Megamanx00 and DXRick - Looks like I have limited to no options. I guess the lessons learnt is that I should stay away from Slimline PCs if I want to do gaming.