[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade Old PC compatibility

Xanthe93

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm planning on upgrading my old desktop with a new gpu.
Just wanting to know what card will run with the old mobo and cpu?

Budget is around $1000 AUD for the gpu.

I was planning on getting an RTX 2070 or an AMD of some kind.

The original components are:

ASUS X79 Deluxe mobo
I7 4930K CPU
Asus GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5
850w seasonic modular PSU
64gb ddr3 gskill ram
noctua d-15 cpu cooler
samsung 840 evo 1tb ssd

thanks
Xanthe

Solution
That Haswell CPU/motherboard combo was a nice high-end setup. Still is, with the 6C/12T X-series processor. I imagine it still does the job for your productivity usage.
Even gaming today with the latest triple-A games should still be within its capability. The 2070 would be a powerful upgrade to the aging 660. Especially with your 1440p monitor at max/ultra settings. The less expensive GTX 1660 Ti would be another option. I haven't tried the new AMD 5000 series yet, or I'd add them too.

Xanthe93

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi clutchc, I mainly do graphics work using Adobe suite and a wacom cintiq tablet but do the odd bit of 3D modelling mainly with the Autodesk suite and ZBrush.

I play some pretty old games on my PC but mainly Diablo 3, Civilization, Warhammer Total War, Bioshock, Bethesda, Bioware franchise games etc so I've been sticking with my old favourites but I'd love to really crank up the graphics on my 2560 x 1440 monitor! It's not uncommon for me to play Warcraft 2/3 or the Infinity Engine Bioware games however.

Although I've noticed that my desktop uses the CPU /RAM to do a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to graphics because it can keep up with my partner's newer Alienware laptop despite the fact his has a better GPU, at least on paper anyway.

Depends on the retailer and which type, anywhere from $849 - $1099 Aud, at least from PC Case Gear (PCCG). I like them as a retailer, they're not the cheapest but their customer service is top notch. They've sourced me some gear in the past and have never had issues with them whereas some of the cheaper competitors had warnings from the ACCC on their front page saying buyer beware a few years back so I avoid them like the plague!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That Haswell CPU/motherboard combo was a nice high-end setup. Still is, with the 6C/12T X-series processor. I imagine it still does the job for your productivity usage.
Even gaming today with the latest triple-A games should still be within its capability. The 2070 would be a powerful upgrade to the aging 660. Especially with your 1440p monitor at max/ultra settings. The less expensive GTX 1660 Ti would be another option. I haven't tried the new AMD 5000 series yet, or I'd add them too.

Solution