Gpu upgrade on temperature

jackyBE

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
I currently have a gtx 760 installed on a z97-a mobo. i recently installed a noctua nh-d15 on my intel i5-4690k and i am pretty happy with my cpu temperature so far (no more than 50°c on heavy load). My problem is that while running a gpu stressing game, my gpu temp rises to 80°c and 100% utilization resulting in a fps drop.

My question is:
if i buy a gtx 1060, will it generate as much heat as the gtx 760?

Solution
Its more about what cooler the GPU has rather than the heat it generates. a 760 with a good cooler will stay under 80'c.

A 1060 would give you a significant performance boost, and the 1060 uses a lot less power, and therefore generates less heat. My 1060 Strix doesnt really go over 60ish 'c
Try to play with the side panel of your case open - if it helps, you need to improve the air follow in your case.
If not, worth cleaning the cooler, applying new thermal paste.
GTX 1060 is rated at 120 watt while GTX 760 at 170watt. It is significant reduction.
Anyway, you still might have the same problem if the heat is not properly removed from the case.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Its more about what cooler the GPU has rather than the heat it generates. a 760 with a good cooler will stay under 80'c.

A 1060 would give you a significant performance boost, and the 1060 uses a lot less power, and therefore generates less heat. My 1060 Strix doesnt really go over 60ish 'c

Solution
Graphics cards do run hot, but they are built to tolerate heat.
80c. is often the target temperature for a card.
You might run something like EVGA precision to monitor temps and adjust the fan profile so that you get more cooling under heavy load.

If you are looking for better graphics performance, GTX1060 is a very nice jump and will be less power hungry.

jackyBE

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Thanks for your quick replies! I have a Zalman z11 plus case with good airflow. Now that you point the lower power consumption of the 1060, it makes sens that it will generate less heat. the only problem of the zalman z11 plus is that the side fans are located near the front side away from the gpu. But still, there's a good airflow near the gpu, a can feel it behind the case. I will plan on bying a 1060, thanks again everyone.
Have a good day. (sorry for my english btw)